The Metropolitan Opera is coming to a theatre near you

Japanese language

Moderators: Renate, Motoko, Management

The Metropolitan Opera is coming to a theatre near you

Postby DueBaci on Tue 09 Jan, 2007 4:10 am

Motoko .. Do you live near a theatre where they are broadcasting operas from the Met ?

link:

http://www.shochiku.co.jp/met/index.html

Some of us were discussing how neat it is that some of us are watching the same opera all at the same time from different parts of the world.

link to discussion:

http://lnx.andreabocelli.org/Gold/viewt ... 5216#55216
DueBaci

Postby Boots on Tue 09 Jan, 2007 4:17 pm

Due,

Unfortunately, some of the scheduled operas have been cancelled at my local theatre. Saturday they will "re-broadcast" The Magic Flute. So much for all of us watching at the same time.
Boots

Postby DueBaci on Tue 09 Jan, 2007 8:23 pm

Really ?

Where are you in the US ?

.. I find that strange that you're going to get a rebroadcast and not The First Emperor that everyone else will see. Have you asked any questions of the theatre ? and have they offered any explanation ?
DueBaci

Postby DueBaci on Tue 09 Jan, 2007 8:27 pm

I did find an encore of Flute.. but on Tuesday Jan 23rd.

http://www.fathomevents.com/subpage/ind ... ventID=622
DueBaci

Postby Boots on Tue 09 Jan, 2007 8:44 pm

Due,

I'm sorry, it is Jan 23rd; I called and asked to speak to the manager, but got the popcorn vendor instead (I think). Every time I asked a question, he went off somewhere for about a minute to confer with the candy girl. Needless to say, no satisfaction was to be had.
Boots

Postby DueBaci on Tue 09 Jan, 2007 8:54 pm

ok. Well the 23rd seems to coincide with the encores in other areas.

Did you go to Puritani ? if yes, was it well attended ?
DueBaci

Postby Boots on Tue 09 Jan, 2007 8:57 pm

Nope, they cancelled I Puritani; don't have a clue why.
Boots

Postby DueBaci on Tue 09 Jan, 2007 9:39 pm

I'm sorry Boots. I hope you get some kind of explanation from that theatre sooner or later.

DB
DueBaci

Re: The Metropolitan Opera is coming to a theatre near you

Postby Motoko on Wed 10 Jan, 2007 1:49 am

DueBaci wrote:Motoko .. Do you live near a theatre where they are broadcasting operas from the Met ?

Sorry for my delay in replying to your post, DueBaci. I spent the New Year's holidays in my hometown, which are equal to your Christmas holidays, and now I'm trying to catch up with the recent posts.

I had seen the ads of "the MET live viewing" in Japan but I could not imagine how it would be. Unfortunately, these performances don't seem to be broadcast simultaneously in Japan, maybe it's because of the time difference between Tokyo and New York.

Reading your posts, I feel this event sounds really great and I'll check out if the tickets are still available. I hope I will be able to experience any of the performances in Tokyo. Thanks DueBaci! :)
Motoko

Postby westsiderny on Wed 10 Jan, 2007 4:11 am

Boots wrote:Nope, they cancelled I Puritani; don't have a clue why.

This may explain, somehow, why "I Puritani" was cancelled in your area:

'I Puritani' simulcast: Less than blockbuster
The Met's latest movie- screen venture, a Bellini work, had none of the lilt of "The Magic Flute."

Full article...

On the other hand, here is another article which states that "Il Puritani" was a sold-out screening:

For much of America, the Metropolitan Opera's broadcasting of select Saturday afternoon performances meant getting a dose of culture at (or near) a mall. In suburban Philadelphia, the sold-out showing of "I Puritani" at the AMC Theatre in Neshaminy Mall was packed with a crowd of opera lovers of a certain age -- and the boxes of popcorn were notably absent.

Full article...
"Canto alla vita alla sua bellezza ad ogni sua ferita ogni sua carezza..."

"I sing to life, to its beauty, to each of its wounds and each of its caresses..."
westsiderny

Postby DueBaci on Wed 10 Jan, 2007 4:52 am

Motoko wrote: Sorry for my delay in replying to your post, DueBaci. I spent the New Year's holidays in my hometown, which are equal to your Christmas holidays, and now I'm trying to catch up with the recent posts.

I had seen the ads of "the MET live viewing" in Japan but I could not imagine how it would be. Unfortunately, these performances don't seem to be broadcast simultaneously in Japan, maybe it's because of the time difference between Tokyo and New York.

Reading your posts, I feel this event sounds really great and I'll check out if the tickets are still available. I hope I will be able to experience any of the performances in Tokyo. Thanks DueBaci! :)

Hi Motoko I hope you had a wonderful holiday. Happy New Year !

I hope you will able to go to the Met broadcasts in Japan. Let us know if you suceed in getting tickets.
DueBaci

Postby Boots on Wed 10 Jan, 2007 6:07 pm

Due,

Thanks for the info; poor attendance at the mall cinema may be the reason for cancellation. I plan to drop by there later today to speak to the manager and find out more on this. God help them if they send out the popcorn boy!
Boots

Postby Motoko on Thu 11 Jan, 2007 2:27 am

DueBaci wrote: Let us know if you suceed in getting tickets.

I got my ticket of "I Puritani" for tomorrow. :wink: I hear that "I Puritani" is rarely perfomed, as good singers who are technically trained are required for that opera. I'm looking forward to seeing it! :)
Motoko

Postby Motoko on Thu 11 Jan, 2007 2:39 am

[schild=1 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=C0C0C0 shieldshadow=1]DueBaci wrote[/schild]

DueBaciさんが、メトロポリタン歌劇場の上演が、アメリカ国内、ヨーロッパ、日本の劇場で同時生中継されるMETライブビューイングに関して教えてくださいました。

METライブビューイング

残念ながら、時差の関係からか日本では生中継ではないようです。
Motoko

Postby Setsuko on Fri 12 Jan, 2007 1:54 pm

メトロポリタン歌劇場の上演が見られるなんて、素敵ですね!お話聞かせてください。"A te, o cara"どうでしたか?
Setsuko

Postby Motoko on Sat 13 Jan, 2007 1:32 pm

「清教徒」は、"A te, o cara"だけではなくて、歌、歌、歌の競演で、素晴らしいオペラでしたよ!ソプラノのアンナ・ネトレプコが素晴らしいエルヴィラを演じました。最新のMETの演目が見られて、本当に楽しく、あっという間の3時間半でした。
Motoko

Return to Japanese Forum