MIAMI LIGHTHOUSE FOR THE BLIND

Discussions about Canto

Moderators: Renate, Management

MIAMI LIGHTHOUSE FOR THE BLIND

Postby DueBaci on Tue 12 Sep, 2006 3:48 am

" SHARED DREAM

The musicians talk about José Feliciano, Andrea Bocelli and also Charles and Wonder. They share a dream of becoming professional musicians, like the singers they name. But not because of their idols' blindness.

'I love Stevie Wonder. I admire him because he has a lot of talent, but I don't like it when people say to me, `You'll be another Stevie Wonder,' because the reason they say it is that I can't see,'' said Natalia Sulca, 13.

''One wants to be appreciated for one's abilities, not for being blind,'' added Nancy Somaza, a 42-year-old singer who also participated in the recording project.

Many of Lighthouse's clients say they feel they are unfairly judged -- and even more painful -- unaccepted because of their impairment.

At a recent singing contest that rewarded the most talented student in her school, Natalia feels she lost to someone who doesn't have as powerful a voice as she.

''I've learned to accept it,'' Natalia said. ``All I can do is to educate people, teach them that the fact that I'm blind does not mean I'm inept.''"

link to whole article:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/15489059.htm

.... I love the last sentence of the article ... the part about making miracles.

I'm all for miracles....
DueBaci

Postby snoufferk on Tue 12 Sep, 2006 5:18 am

DueBaci, thank you for bringing this article to our attention. People do need to be educated as Natalia said. The truth is there are many people who will never be able to see what she does.

I'm all for miracles,too......
snoufferk

Postby Em on Thu 02 Nov, 2006 7:48 pm

What a important article for us to read, to understand more...the miracle that is Andrea..what can I ever say to a man as GREAT as that..I can fully understand his love for the lyrics of MY WAY..I loved the statement,"Theres nothing better than song and music,thats how we project what we feel and our desire to live"
Em

Postby PJay on Fri 03 Nov, 2006 9:50 am

And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not;
I will lead them in paths that they have not known:
I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight.
These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them.
Isaiah 42:16 KJV :cheers:
Let us be grateful to people who make us happy;
They are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom. Marcel Proust
PJay

Postby Em on Fri 03 Nov, 2006 6:44 pm

PJay...Thank you for quoting that passage...it is so very touching...
Em

Return to Canto