Newbie questions

Technical information

Moderators: Renate, Management

Postby Tesora on Mon 23 Oct, 2006 2:56 pm

I find the concern over formalities in addressing people in Italian kind of funny. When I was studying at a language school for tourists in Rome many years ago, my instructor, Cristiano, was looking over my shoulder as I wrote out some answers to questions in the class. When I got them right, he started kissing my bare shoulder!! I remember thinking how very "familiar" the Italians were (particularly the men!). :oops:

Anyway, I have a language question for those of you busy studying Italian. One of my favourite appetizers is bruschetta, which I always pronounce like bru-SKE-ta. Invariably, the server corrects me and calls it bru-SHE-ta. I thought that the che combination made a hard C sound, rather than a SH sound, but maybe I'm wrong in this instance. Didn't see the word in my Italian-English dictionary.
Tesora

Pronunciation

Postby Annalisa on Mon 23 Oct, 2006 3:11 pm

You're right. The dictionary says it's pronounced brus' ketta.

I've had a couple of experiences in Italian chain restaurants in the US when the servers have corrected my pronunciation, but they were pronouncing it wrong. [-X I tend to go with the pronunciations I've heard in Italy.
Annalisa
"The heart has its reasons that reason knows nothing of." Pascal
Annalisa

Postby LaCavallerizza on Mon 23 Oct, 2006 4:36 pm

Also according to my teacher who is from Rome, the hard C is the correct pronounciation.
LaCavallerizza

Postby Baroque1685 on Tue 24 Oct, 2006 1:26 am

Welcome Sheilla!

Tesora,
1. Only accept pronunciation correction from an Italian. Of course someone like Annalisa or Duebaci, etc.(so many good translators here) who you know you can trust with it also, but that means you're somewhat familiar with the person.
2. If you think even then that they are wrong, then try to know which area they're from. In Sicily, there was a man called Don Ciccio, but it was pronounced "kee-kyo." I was surprised, but later in the book there were some funny situations of the dialect conflicting with standard Italian (now it looks like Sicilian and Italian are considered 2 different ones) and also the dialect varying so greatly only 10 miles apart!

Just in listening to a few Italians speak in our town, I've noticed that their accents are different, based on the region they immigrated from.
~Soli Deo Gloria~ "All music...should have no other end and aim than the glory of God and the recreation of the soul; where this is not kept in mind, there is no true music, but only infernal clamour and ranting."~Johann Sebastian Bach
Baroque1685

Postby Michelle on Tue 24 Oct, 2006 9:10 am

Baroque1685 wrote:Just in listening to a few Italians speak in our town, I've noticed that their accents are different, based on the region they immigrated from.

That makes sense. Ireland is alot smaller than Italy, but even we have numerous accents, depending on what part of the country you are from. Also, in our native Irish, we often use different pronounciations, words or phrases, depending on what part of the country we are from. I imagine it's the same everywhere.
'How is the greatest tenor in the world?' asked McCormack.
'When did you become a baritone?' replied Caruso.
Michelle

Postby DueBaci on Tue 24 Oct, 2006 11:35 am

... same thing in America believe it or not. I grew up in the northeast... and when I moved to the southeast... I had a REALLY hard time understanding anything some folks said. and we were all speaking English !
DueBaci

Fairly new Ellena

Postby Patrice Adams on Thu 01 Mar, 2007 7:53 am

Thank you for you post, posting is confusing to me. I must trust the administrators, and moderators to advise or correct me until I learn.
I believe that Signore Bocelli appreciates and understands our efforts to respectfully express ourselves, more than anyone. I share that which my heart compels me to. I can not edit my feelings any more than I would my prayers.
I wish to thank all the individuals that responded to my posts, your kind words of support and welcome warmed my heart. Darcy, Boots, Jackyd,
amelia correia,Alexander, Eta, Sherlock thank you and God Bless. Ciau
Patrice Adams

Re: Fairly new Ellena

Postby Darcy on Thu 01 Mar, 2007 11:02 am

Patrice Adams wrote:I wish to thank all the individuals that responded to my posts, your kind words of support and welcome warmed my heart. Darcy, Boots, Jackyd,
amelia correia,Alexander, Eta, Sherlock thank you and God Bless. Ciau

You are most welcome, Patrice.

God bless you, too.
"Music is the poetry of the air." ~ Richter
Darcy

Postby jackyd on Thu 01 Mar, 2007 3:00 pm

Your Welcome Patrice and you are doing wonderful.
Today is YOUR DAY, once again, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
jacky
"All that counts in life is intention."
Andrea Bocelli, in TV Guide
jackyd

Postby Leigh on Mon 26 Mar, 2007 5:12 am

HI,
I'm Leigh from Dallas, Texas. I have a lot of questions but the first one ie how do I add an avatar?
Leigh

Postby Michelle on Mon 26 Mar, 2007 9:00 am

At the bottom of your profile page, Leigh. There's a gallery you can choose from.
Michelle

Postby Leigh on Mon 26 Mar, 2007 5:18 pm

I tried that Michelle and am still not sure. I don't like the pictures from the pull down menu nor the two that are shown. also if my avatar is a bit too large will the site automatically reduce it?
Leigh

Postby jezabel66a on Mon 26 Mar, 2007 8:52 pm

He leido atentamente las diversas opiniones acerca de la lengua italiana y su pronunciacion., y me gustaria decir que a pesar de hablar español no es facil tampoco para mi, pero he encontrado en las canciones de ANDREA el mas grande estimulo para avanzar en su lengua., y asi lo estoy haciendo., pero lo mejor que puedo hacer no es solo estudiar, sino practicar hablando, cantando y sintiendolo en el corazon.
jezabel66a

Postby Leigh on Mon 26 Mar, 2007 10:31 pm

Baroque1685 wrote:Welcome Sheilla!

Tesora,
1. Only accept pronunciation correction from an Italian. Of course someone like Annalisa or Duebaci, etc.(so many good translators here) who you know you can trust with it also, but that means you're somewhat familiar with the person.
2. If you think even then that they are wrong, then try to know which area they're from. In Sicily, there was a man called Don Ciccio, but it was pronounced "kee-kyo." I was surprised, but later in the book there were some funny situations of the dialect conflicting with standard Italian (now it looks like Sicilian and Italian are considered 2 different ones) and also the dialect varying so greatly only 10 miles apart!

Just in listening to a few Italians speak in our town, I've noticed that their accents are different, based on the region they immigrated from.

No wonder we poor American's have such a hard time learning other languages. Even in Texas the Mexan language here is considered more slang than what is spoken in Mexico! I am constantly amazed that anyone can come to America and learn our language so easily yet we (not all) have such a hard time figuring out different languages
Leigh

Postby Patrice Adams on Tue 27 Mar, 2007 12:12 am

Welcome Ellena, Wow what a response> I too struggle with addressing Mr. Andrea Bocelli, and have studied Italian long enough to forget everyword when I am on this site. Honestly my feeling is that as the greatest tenor (singer) in the world Andrea does not take offense to anything a fan might say while trying to convey their respect and appreciation. Read his book, "The Music of Silence," Andrea has a great sense of humor, he has been too busy to get his feathers ruffled by fan # 8,000,763, 000 who mispronouces his name. He said the words we send to him have made him feel that he has a large extended family who is with him all the time. True greatness has no ego. Ciau:) P
Patrice Adams

Postby Michelle on Tue 27 Mar, 2007 9:06 am

Well said Patrice!
Michelle

Postby crocodileshoes on Tue 27 Mar, 2007 5:27 pm

Hello Ellena, I am English and have been visiting this site since last year; I am finding people post messages in English. French, Italian, Portuguese, depending on what their native tongue is; for me I know some German and French and I am trying out Italian and i like to have a go myself at translating people's messages; many times i do okay; sometimes i am at a loss, especially with Portuguese but i always understand in the end; I think people should communicate in whatever language they are comfortable with; it is a site for Andrea's fans; he reaches the peoples' hearts of all the world, so i guess it is inevitable he has a multi-lingual site; if i write him a little message to express my love of his music or in response to any message he may kindly leave us , i am now trying to express it for the most part in Italian, simply because I admire him so much that i want to do this for him; ciao amici :)
crocodileshoes

Previous

Return to Info