Audience Manners

Discussions about Concerts

Moderators: Renate, Management

Audience Manners

Postby syl on Mon 09 Jul, 2007 8:52 pm

When I log into youtube.com to watch the videos from the recent Teatro del Silenzio performance, there seems to be people coming and going from their seats during performances. At times there was also chatter in the background. I must be old fashioned but I thought that it was plain good manners to be quiet while a performer was entertaining. I would be curious to know how others feel about this and also from those who were there how they perceived the audience's behaviour.
syl

Postby Veronica. O on Tue 10 Jul, 2007 12:00 am

I think you are righgt. I discovered that video while on my search for Andrea's videos. I totall agree with you. You dont have to feel old fashioned becuase good manners in the theatre is not only the right thing to do but it is just common sense for someone to know to be quiet in a theatre. I always say do unto others as you would like done unto you.

It was very distracing to ear all the chatter in the background.

I agree with you 100 percent on this syl
Veronica. O

Postby crocodileshoes on Tue 10 Jul, 2007 12:10 pm

I agree with you totally; it is good manners to be quiet when someone is performing, both considering others and the performer; anyway wh wants to chat when Andrea is singing and miss that magic; it defies belief that people could be that rude; its not old-fashioned , its having respect and consideration. :)
crocodileshoes

Postby sofia on Tue 10 Jul, 2007 2:42 pm

I am surprised to hear/see this.
I went to concerts both here in Belgium and once in Holland-Rotterdam-,but never was the public so loud.
Everybody stayed still on their chairs and didn't move anymore until the concert was over.
Of course ,there was always a lot of applaus and enthousiasme after each song.
I really don't like people who make a lot of noise at a concert and to me it's a lack of respect towards the artists and the rest of the audience.
sofia

Postby Maris on Tue 10 Jul, 2007 5:19 pm

Were there mostly Italians in the audience? Was it because it was outdoors? Do these people think of Andrea in a more casual sense - like he's a local so no big deal?
Maris

Postby sofia on Tue 10 Jul, 2007 5:56 pm

Maybe the fact that it is outdoors can change the atmosphere?I never attended an outdoor concert of Bocelli so I can't compare.
sofia

Postby Gloria M on Tue 10 Jul, 2007 6:34 pm

sofia wrote:Maybe the fact that it is outdoors can change the atmosphere?I never attended an outdoor concert of Bocelli so I can't compare.

I can't comment on this one, but overall my experience with outdoor concerts is that there is a more casual atmosphere. People tend to move around more, talk more, eat more. Normally I'm not that bothered by it, but if someone was disruptive during a Bocelli concert, I think I would be upset!

--Gloria M
Gloria M

Postby Janice on Tue 10 Jul, 2007 6:37 pm

I remember one time (gratefully ONLY one time!) being at a Bocelli concert (indoors) where the people behind me started talking. I did not hesitate to turn around and tell them to be quiet. They did but they sure gave me a look--like *I* was the rude one! I simply don't understand it--you buy your ticket to see a show and then decide you simply MUST talk at that EXACT moment. You could have saved yourself some money and stayed home if hearing yourself talk is more important to you. Geez!!!!
Janice

Postby carolina1954 on Wed 11 Jul, 2007 1:56 pm

People were talking and moving about and I found it very distracting.
My view is that certain people like to see and be seen at these events and the fact that it was outdoors possibly made them think making noise and blocking other people's view was acceptable. IT IS NOT !
It seemed to be Italians that were doing this, maybe they were locals, or got free tickets, or whatever, but it was very irritating.
The man on stage must have asked at least a dozen times for people to get to their seats before the start.
Lots of people also got up and left during the concert, well before time. How rude is that !
carolina1954

Postby Maris on Wed 11 Jul, 2007 3:24 pm

carolina1954 wrote:People were talking and moving about and I found it very distracting.
My view is that certain people like to see and be seen at these events and the fact that it was outdoors possibly made them think making noise and blocking other people's view was acceptable. IT IS NOT !
It seemed to be Italians that were doing this, maybe they were locals, or got free tickets, or whatever, but it was very irritating.
The man on stage must have asked at least a dozen times for people to get to their seats before the start.
Lots of people also got up and left during the concert, well before time. How rude is that !

I think Italians do not regard Andrea Bocelli as we do. I have always heard that and perhaps this is evidence of that.
Maris

Postby syl on Wed 11 Jul, 2007 5:09 pm

When I first asked the question, I was hoping that people would say that any interruption by the audience was minimal. How very disappointing that people's respect for performers has deteriorated so far. I wonder if the performers can hear the noise or if they are so involved with their music that they block it out? I hope so as I would be offended if I was trying to entertain and people would not listen. When I watched the DVD "Under the Desert Sky" (outdoors), I thought that the audience was very quiet and stayed in their seats. Perhaps it is a cultural thing?
syl

Postby Veronica. O on Wed 11 Jul, 2007 7:46 pm

by the ay, under the sky concert was inmy opinion the funniest. I couldn't stop laughing. Who knew Andrea Bocelli was the comedian of all time. Ok back o ntrack. i totally agree with you, the audience that attended :under the desert sky" was very quiet. They applauded when appropriate and they laughed at all his jokes. They were very respectful to him unlike that aoudience from the outdoor concert.
Veronica. O

Postby Maris on Wed 11 Jul, 2007 8:22 pm

Veronica. O wrote:by the ay, under the sky concert was inmy opinion the funniest. I couldn't stop laughing. Who knew Andrea Bocelli was the comedian of all time. Ok back o ntrack. i totally agree with you, the audience that attended :under the desert sky" was very quiet. They applauded when appropriate and they laughed at all his jokes. They were very respectful to him unlike that aoudience from the outdoor concert.

Is this the difference between Americans and Italians?

What was so funny about that other concert? I never think of Andrea as being really funny, sharp witted or quick because he's really thinking in a different language. And, besides, he is seldom relaxed on stage and you have to be relaxed to be funny. I think he has said some things that are cute and meant to draw a chuckle but he says them from concert to concert
so they kind of lose something, the sparkle of spontaneity I guess.
Maris

Postby crocodileshoes on Thu 12 Jul, 2007 9:31 am

Like I said in my previous post, It is only using common sense, having respect and thought for others to not move around or make noise 'DURING' someone singing or performing ; you surely dont go to a concert to hear a fabulous singer 'LIVE' , then go and chatter through it, spoiling the beauty of it for yourself and others; it makes no sense to me at all; that person may as well stay at home, and that aside, how very ill-mannered and disrespectful to the artist; I have nothing against people chatting and eating in the intermission and getting to know other people, that is nice, and at an outdoor concert the atmosphere is probably mure conducive to that; but once the intermission is over, people should surely want to sit and be quiet and soak up the wonderful singing, but UNFORTUNATELY i have been at concerts where you do get people who want to carry on even through the concert, UNBELIEVABLE, but i would tell them to be quiet ; in the intermission 'DO WHAT YOU LIKE' but during the show 'ZIP IT AND SHOW RESPECT' I SAY.
crocodileshoes

Postby syl on Thu 12 Jul, 2007 12:36 pm

I think Italians do not regard Andrea Bocelli as we do. I have always heard that and perhaps this is evidence of that

Either that or they behave like this at all concerts. Interesting to hear from an Italian concert goer.
syl

Postby syl on Thu 12 Jul, 2007 12:38 pm

he concert, UNBELIEVABLE, but i would tell them to be quiet ; in the intermission 'DO WHAT YOU LIKE' but during the show 'ZIP IT AND SHOW RESPECT' I SAY.

Amen to that. I am glad to hear that some people tell others to be quiet. Let's not sit passively by in front of poor manners.
syl

Postby carolina1954 on Thu 12 Jul, 2007 4:03 pm

There were some Italians near where I was sat, telling others to sit down, in no uncertain terms ! I was quite near the back and it was hard enough to see the stage without have others obscuring the view.

As others have said, why pay to see someone and then take very little notice of them. I do wonder if the people who do this have free tickets or concessionary ones and are not really interested in the performer?
carolina1954

Postby Maris on Thu 12 Jul, 2007 6:15 pm

carolina1954 wrote:There were some Italians near where I was sat, telling others to sit down, in no uncertain terms ! I was quite near the back and it was hard enough to see the stage without have others obscuring the view.

As others have said, why pay to see someone and then take very little notice of them. I do wonder if the people who do this have free tickets or concessionary ones and are not really interested in the performer?

Maybe they sell all they can and give the rest away to locals so the theater is full. like standby seats. If I had paid for airfare, lodging and a high priced ticket, I would be incensed to have to deal with that - no big screens either to see Andrea - or were there? How can they make a DVD if there is all this noice and traffic throughout the performance?
Maris

Postby Veronica. O on Thu 12 Jul, 2007 8:34 pm

It is not that Italians dont view Andrea as Americans or others do. Whether you like it or not, there are going to be people in America, canada, or Britain that find Andrea as boring as the next man. SAme as in Italy. There are people that would give anything to meet Andrea and those who wouldn't give a care when they see him on the street. No Maris, finding the concert funny had absolutely nothing to do with American's so italians. It was totally uncalled for. I personally found it funny because I am new as a Bocelli fan and unlike you, I have not been to any of his concerts or seen any of his concerts on youtube. You mentioned that he makes those remarks at every concert and it is not funny anymore. Well it is not funny to you because you have been to his concerts or atleast seen his concerts.

I hope I am not hard to understand
Veronica. O

Postby Maris on Thu 12 Jul, 2007 9:01 pm

Veronica O.,

Are you Italian, or are you just living in Italy at this time. Maybe I should know this but I don't.
Maris

Postby Maris on Thu 12 Jul, 2007 9:07 pm

Also, I think Andrea has many sell-out concerts in the U.S. but seldom, if at all, gives concerts in Italy. I don't think he has ever given an arena concert there at all, not one. Maybe I am wrong about that. I am sure somebody know for sure. Therefore, I think people here are more into him.
Yes, there are always people who are bored with any celebrity and, I guess, some times these people end up at performances.

Andrea said in a recent interveiw that he never was lucky with women till he got rich and famous - now things are better for him. Maybe he was trying to be funny here. If not, maybe he think Veronica is after his money - so I think that must be a joke he intended or that's not very nice to say.
Maris

Postby Veronica. O on Thu 12 Jul, 2007 9:18 pm

ok Maris. I am Italian but I have lived in Canada before. I am not sure if Andrea has had an arena concert in Italy because as I mentioned before, I have never known him and I have lived in Canada for alot of my life so it explains why i didn't know him
Veronica. O

Postby janrdobbs on Fri 13 Jul, 2007 9:36 am

syl wrote:

When I watched the DVD "Under the Desert Sky" (outdoors), I thought that the audience was very quiet and stayed in their seats. Perhaps it is a cultural thing?

Ok, I've just returned from Tuscany and the concert (amazing!) and noticed this thread. I've been lucky enough to have attended Andrea's concerts in Sicily, LLV (Under the Desert sky) and now Lajatico - all open air and believe me, in everyone there were people walking around, switching seats, talking etc but quite honestly I have found that they havent bothered me as I'm so tuned into Andrea on the stage! In Sicily I had a elderly woman rummaging in her handbag the whole of the first half, then she left and never returned! LLV was not as quiet as the dvd makes out, they cut/film different angles/pick and choose what they need for the viewing audience. There were people changing seats all over the place for a better view (Andrea has that effect!) and chatting but of course they dont show this on the dvd. Similarly this will happen with Teatro del Silenzio. Also, remember film crews, runners, technical staff are moving around 'behind the scenes' but in the audience eye-line incessantly when filming, you have to accept this (and are warned at the concerts!) if you want the gorgeous results of the dvd!! Personally I enjoy both, the rawness of the filming of the concert and then sitting in the comfort of my own room watching the edited version. Both spectacular!!!!! :lol:
janrdobbs

Postby carolina1954 on Fri 13 Jul, 2007 11:05 am

Maris, there were big screens, 2 of them.

I think if you sit near the front it is fairly easy to "tune out" other things, as you have a good view of the stage and what is happening there.
However, at the back, it is virtually impossible.
But, as you say, Jan, it is nice to enjoy the "raw" and then see the smoothness of the DVD, for which I cannot wait !
carolina1954

Postby syl on Sat 14 Jul, 2007 8:38 pm

Ok, I've just returned from Tuscany and the concert (amazing!) and noticed this thread. I've been lucky enough to have attended Andrea's concerts in Sicily, LLV (Under the Desert sky) and now Lajatico - all open air and believe me, in everyone there were people walking around, switching seats, talking etc

Thanks for the perspective. I never thought about the noise being edited out for the DVD. This makes perfect sense. You are saying that there are always a few people no matter what the country who are rude enough to talk and move around during a concert. I hope if others are bothered by them that they will speak up rather than put up.
syl

Next

Return to Concert