What do you wear ?

Discussions about Concerts

Moderators: Renate, Management

What do you wear ?

Postby carolina1954 on Wed 20 Dec, 2006 5:58 pm

I always think that the performers have bothered to dress nicely, so we should do the same, as a courtesy.
I wouldn't dream of turning up in an old pair of jeans, but equally I would not go dripping in diamonds either. ( if I had any to drip with)
Smart comfortable would be my choice.
carolina1954

Postby angel27 on Wed 20 Dec, 2006 6:21 pm

I agree, it also depends what venue it's in, for example to a theatre one tends to dress up a bit more. In any case, as Carolina wrote, smart and comfortable would be fine.
angel27

Postby carolina1954 on Wed 20 Dec, 2006 7:04 pm

Thanks Renate for giving this a separate thread - sorry for keeping you busy tidying up after us :)
carolina1954

Postby Lelly on Wed 20 Dec, 2006 7:46 pm

In the UK we usually have to listen to Andrea in large sports arenas, but even so most people dress up a bit. At the NIA in Birmingham there were some people in evening dress - and why not if that's what you like? Andrea dresses up, so as Carolina says we should make the effort too. I don't know what it's like anywhere else but dress codes in the UK seem to be very flexible - almost anything goes, which is fine by me. I went to the ballet at the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden recently and saw people in jeans, but I expect they were very expensive designer jeans! These days you wouldn't feel uncomfortable whatever you wore, within reason of course!
Lesley
Lelly

Postby carolina1954 on Wed 20 Dec, 2006 7:57 pm

UK dress code....when I was lucky enough last March to attend the taping of the BBC All Time Movie Greats,( my first "live" Andrea) at their studio in London, their site said "strictly no jeans". There were people in jeans and nobody said anything !
carolina1954

Postby Boots on Wed 20 Dec, 2006 9:32 pm

With some people you can suggest proper attire, but they will usually wear whatever they want. Unless I were attending an event at Symphony Hall or the Operat House in Boston, upscale sporty always works.
Boots

Postby Janice on Thu 21 Dec, 2006 12:20 am

We've made jokes over the years about the "concert uniform"--black slacks and a dressy top of some sort. It's always a safe bet. :) The only time I ever broke from the "uniform" was this past June when I saw my first concert at an outdoor venue. Since it was outdoors and June, the uniform seemed a shade overdressed to me. I wore a lace-trimmed tank top and a summer skirt. You do really see all kinds of ensembles at the concerts. Makes people-watching before the show fun! :D
Janice

Postby Gloria M on Thu 21 Dec, 2006 12:53 am

Janice wrote:We've made jokes over the years about the "concert uniform"--black slacks and a dressy top of some sort. It's always a safe bet. :) The only time I ever broke from the "uniform" was this past June when I saw my first concert at an outdoor venue. Since it was outdoors and June, the uniform seemed a shade overdressed to me. I wore a lace-trimmed tank top and a summer skirt. You do really see all kinds of ensembles at the concerts. Makes people-watching before the show fun! :D

My favorite outfit of yours was the hot pink top you wore to the ice show in Toronto! We had nooooo problem finding you when the show hit the airwaves! :)
Gloria M

Postby Baroque1685 on Thu 21 Dec, 2006 2:18 am

To an opera I will wear jeans, after all it is a genre that was(and will be) very average and normal, rather everyday. It almost seems more respectful to the genre to wear that than all the frills and lace in your closet. Summers excluded, when I do find skirts and dresses three times more comfy! :D I would certainly wear a nice shirt, anyhow. At a concert (rock excluded, LOL), slacks and blouse or a dress.
~Soli Deo Gloria~ "All music...should have no other end and aim than the glory of God and the recreation of the soul; where this is not kept in mind, there is no true music, but only infernal clamour and ranting."~Johann Sebastian Bach
Baroque1685

Postby nela on Thu 21 Dec, 2006 5:44 am

just having recently seen the man himself in concert in anaheim indoors, most of the fans dressed up abit but not too much I had fun dressing up we were also luckythat rain was predicted for that Sat and it the happen but not before or after the concert, only during and thak God we were indoors, what a wonderful time we had listening to such a great talent :D :cheers:
nela

Postby jackyd on Thu 21 Dec, 2006 10:27 pm

Thanks everyone. This gives great ideas on what to save for besides those tickets. It is interesting to hear "what people wore to their concerts with Andrea". I had pictured most people wearing gowns and such. Really dressy.

Only been to one (1) concert, country, "Sawyer Brown" many, many years ago - we wore jeans, boots, etc..

jacky
"All that counts in life is intention."
Andrea Bocelli, in TV Guide
jackyd

Postby carolina1954 on Thu 21 Dec, 2006 11:14 pm

As they say here Jacky: Horses for courses.

If it makes you feel good to dress up, then do that, make it special, you won't look out of place. If not, that's ok too, as long as it is clean :lol:
carolina1954

Postby Em on Fri 22 Dec, 2006 9:36 pm

Hi..Its Em...I've been out of commission for a while, which caused me to cancel my concert in Anaheim and I feel such a tremendos loss..it feels like my world has been turned upside down... The only insentive to take good care of myself,is to see/hear THE HIM again..Now that that is said, I've been to 20 concerts and have always thought the dress code tobe, dress as if you are going to meet HIM...you just never know..trust me,I speak from experience
big love
Em
Em

Postby carolina1954 on Fri 22 Dec, 2006 10:23 pm

Hi Em

What a great incentive to take care over your appearance :) I would also add: make sure you smell nice .

Good to see you back.
carolina1954

Postby jackyd on Fri 22 Dec, 2006 11:27 pm

Hurray ! Em is back. Good to see you back, missed you around here.

I read on bocelli.de through Dorris's experience at the Anaheim concert that you were ill, she wrote in-part, ' Em was unable to make it as she was ill.' Yes big mouth here told everyone in the Topic: "Bocelli: rappers and dog fans" of what I read. So glad your back. I enjoy reading your poetry so much. Your works are so deep and moving.

Well, I had posed a question on a different topic about cameras at concerts and then I posed the question on what to wear, Renate helped to split the topics up.

I have never attended a Andrea Bocelli concert thus far. I was in real doubt as what should be worn. Now I have received good advise from wonderful people.

Em, how many times have you met him? Carolina has mentioned that she met Andrea. (so exciting) Does he look different in person than in pictures? I look totally different in person than in photos (not photogenic at all)

Happy to hear your back. I pray things are getting better for you.

jacky
jackyd

Postby gill mclennan on Fri 22 Dec, 2006 11:28 pm

Hello Em,

Glad to see you are back with us again. I hope all goes well with you and we'll be seeing your poems on here before too long.

Cheers Gill
gill mclennan

Postby Boots on Sat 23 Dec, 2006 2:35 pm

Welcome back, Em. Sorry to hear that you were ill; glad that you'll be up to par for the holidays. And thanks to you and Carolina for the dress code advice. Next concert I'll be wearing nothing but perfume! Sorry, I just couldn't resist that one.
Boots

Postby Janice on Sat 23 Dec, 2006 4:18 pm

jackyd wrote:
Does he look different in person than in pictures?

jacky

As amazing as it seems :) Andrea's very best pictures truly do not do him justice. He looks BETTER in person! My group happened to stay at the same hotel he did one time last year and when we returned from breakfast, guess who was in the lobby?!? I couldn't believe it! No, I didn't approach him but I got closer for a better look. :D A GREAT surprise!

Considering this has nothing to do with what to wear, Renate just might have to split the topic again! :) You sure do keep her busy, jacky! :D
Janice

Postby carolina1954 on Sat 23 Dec, 2006 9:22 pm

I can't really say I have "met" him but I have been very close....
I was lucky after his performance in Florence last March. I saw him sitting in his car, all alone, and felt brave enough to over and ask him to sign my programme, which he very graciously did. Whilst he was sigining, I asked him what it was that he sang as an encore with the baritone as I did not recognise it, and in that great accent he said : the duet from Boheme....

I have seen him up close a few times and he alway looks very good.
carolina1954

Postby Em on Sat 23 Dec, 2006 10:50 pm

Janice wrote:Andrea's very best pictures truly do not do him justice. He looks BETTER in person!

OMG, is that ever the truth..there simply are no words..I also met him in a lobby and I flat couldn't believe my eyes..he looked like a roman god as each step he was closer tome..I finally pryied myself from the chair where I was sitting and went before them(Veronica was there also)Can you imagine that???...I was so surprised as it seemed his presense tookme over and towered over me..hard to explain...I couldn't speak but when he took my hand, something happened, for I couldn't see his face and the only words I couldsay were,"Its nice to meet you" In his most gracious english he said,"Thank you"...I cried...I'll never forget that..EVER..
Em

Postby angel27 on Sun 24 Dec, 2006 12:18 am

Wow, how lucky you all are.

The closest I've been to him was in a dream...not the day type of dream, but a real one (I rarely remember my dreams, this, I did). Before last week's concert naturally, I had a lot of anticipation and probably whilst I slept my mind kept going about Bocelli. I dreamt that during the concert break I met him in a stairway on my way to a coffee bar (!! there weren't any coffee bars anywhere!), we shook hands, he came close for the custom italian greeting (kiss on cheeks...wonderful), I offered a capuccino,which he accepted with that unique smile of his, then, end of dream... darn mobile alarm must have rang.

I woke up real happy, it felt so real. Obviously, my family's reaction when I spoke about it was..."oh (eyes rolling back) you're such an incurable, you eat, drink, sleep and dream Bocelli!"
angel27

Postby Lelly on Sun 24 Dec, 2006 3:30 pm

My "favourite" concert was when we went to the Faenol Festival in North Wales. Anyone who knows that part of the country will know to go prepared - I wore jeans, boots with several pairs of socks, tee shirt, shirt, jumper, fleece, waterproof jacket with hood, and gloves. And I needed them all! Apart from the man himself, one of my overriding memories is searching for Karen in the crowd and finding her purple fleecy hat!! As you say Carolina, horses for courses!
Lesley
Lelly

Postby jackyd on Sun 24 Dec, 2006 3:58 pm

Oh my gosh Lesley. Must have been very very cold, wet.

This is so, so (can't find a word to describe) guess AMAZING! You are (echoing Angel) very "lucky" to have met him and Em, spoke with him, Carolina shock his hand? I've got butterflies just reading what everyone has wrote.

WOW
jacky
jackyd

Return to Concert