'No cameras or recording equipment' ?

Discussions about Concerts

Moderators: Renate, Management

Postby Michelle on Tue 19 Dec, 2006 9:52 am

'No cameras or recording equipment' is standard over here for all concerts - but no-one pays any attention!
'How is the greatest tenor in the world?' asked McCormack.
'When did you become a baritone?' replied Caruso.
Michelle

Postby gill mclennan on Tue 19 Dec, 2006 10:38 am

There were notices everywhere saying 'no cameras or recording equipment' but no-one seemed to bother about them. Being a goody goody person who likes to obey the rules, especially being a guest in a foreign country, I didn't take mine with me. But the beautiful programme on sale for just £3 with a picture of Andrea on the cover and inside was more than enough for me.

Cheers Gill :lol: :lol: :lol:
gill mclennan

Postby jackyd on Tue 19 Dec, 2006 4:16 pm

Thank you for answering. When I do attend my 1st performance, I'm going have to think about that real, real, REAL hard if they have any no camera rules up. (I will probably obey them)
"All that counts in life is intention."
Andrea Bocelli, in TV Guide
jackyd

Postby carolina1954 on Tue 19 Dec, 2006 4:28 pm

I would be happy with the "no camera" rule if the venue would issue photos afterwards, but you rarely see any photos of any concerts.
A lot of concerts have photographers present but their photos never seem to surface anywhere. Where do they all go ? Such a waste, in my opinion.

With digital cameras getting smaller, I think it is worth taking one in and perhaps there will be an opprtunity to take photos. Be a pity if there was and you did not have your camera :(
carolina1954

Postby jackyd on Tue 19 Dec, 2006 4:33 pm

yes Carolina you are correct they are getting smaller. they also take not to bad picture with no flash.
jackyd

Postby carolina1954 on Tue 19 Dec, 2006 4:46 pm

Sometimes better with no flash........
And the good thing is, with them being so small they are easy to put somewhere "safe" :wink:
carolina1954

Postby westsiderny on Tue 19 Dec, 2006 5:06 pm

carolina1954 wrote:A lot of concerts have photographers present but their photos never seem to surface anywhere. Where do they all go ? Such a waste, in my opinion.

I don't think so. Where the photos on WireImage, Reuters, etc. you think they come from? :wink:
"Canto alla vita alla sua bellezza ad ogni sua ferita ogni sua carezza..."

"I sing to life, to its beauty, to each of its wounds and each of its caresses..."
westsiderny

Postby Tesora on Tue 19 Dec, 2006 5:24 pm

When we were at the Elton John concert in Vegas this Fall, they actually confiscated cameras and cell phones with camera features at the gate. I suppose this is what happens when people don't voluntarily follow the rules.

I honestly don't see why people can't bring in cameras. Unless you're snapping pics constantly, it isn't that disruptive to others to take the odd one. As for videotaping, I suppose the argument might be that the concert will just get uploaded to YouTube and people won't bother to go to actual concerts that they can view on-line; however, nothing beats a live performance so I don't think that argument flies either.

I think that with the price these concert tickets fetch, people should be allowed to take a picture or two, for heaven's sake. I hope Andrea's management takes note.
Tesora

Postby carolina1954 on Tue 19 Dec, 2006 5:29 pm

Yes we see some, but so many we don't.
Generally on Wireimage and Getty they will have the same event, like there were lots from MSG, but we have seen nothing from Denver and Florida for example.
The photos we do see are generally taken by fans with a camera and long may it continue !!
carolina1954

Postby Gloria M on Tue 19 Dec, 2006 7:40 pm

Regarding cameras, I've had different experiences at different venues. Some don't care--I like those! Some will look into purses, but not really that carefully. :wink:

At the ice show in Toronto, I was using a 35mm camera with a zoom lens and I was told to remove the zoom. At the Ferguson Center in Virginia, most people waited until the very end to take pics, but the ushers went ballistic! They told us that Bocelli's management had expressly forbidden the use of cameras.

In Denver, I had the most thorough search of all. My large purse had lots of zippers and pockets, and they opened every one--also opened my "cosmetic" case. With such a careful search, I was reluctant to take any pictures until after the intermission. When I finally got brave, I expected the "camera police" to swoop down on me at any second, but no one seemed to care at that point. I don't use flash, so maybe that helped.

I had my worst experience ever at my very first concert in 2000. I had a great seat, 4th row center, and snapped away throughout. Only when I got back to the hotel did I realize I had forgotten to put film in the camera! :oops:

--Gloria M
Gloria M

Postby carolina1954 on Tue 19 Dec, 2006 8:33 pm

I can understand that the continuous taking of photos can be really irritating to those sitting close by, especially flash photography, and I would be the first to tell those types to stop it. I fail to see a problem with people who take few photos at selected moments, and I should like to think that most of us here would know when not to take a photo.

So his management expressly forbids us to take photos ? Why ? not as if they are offering any themselves....
We are good enough to buy all the cds and dvds and whatever other merchandise there is, but we can't take a few snaps ?
carolina1954

Postby Gloria M on Tue 19 Dec, 2006 8:40 pm

carolina1954 wrote:So his management expressly forbids us to take photos ? Why ? not as if they are offering any themselves....
We are good enough to buy all the cds and dvds and whatever other merchandise there is, but we can't take a few snaps ?

It was only at that one concert -- it was not an arena concert, but in a nice concert hall. Maybe they thought it would detract from the experience. In fact, several people were using flash, and I think that is what alerted the ushers. If they had been more discreet, perhaps it wouldn't have been a problem.

--Gloria M
Gloria M

Postby carolina1954 on Tue 19 Dec, 2006 9:00 pm

Yes of course the ushers should stop those people who use flash as this is really annoying and it does detract from the experience and it should be banned from every concert venue.
carolina1954

Postby jackyd on Wed 20 Dec, 2006 4:09 pm

Honestly did not mean to start anything here.

I do have another (different) question concerning Andrea's Concerts.

Both of you have attended several. What do you wear. (I'm just planning ahead - tickets, dress)

Thanks for giving views on the cameras/video equipment.
Last edited by jackyd on Thu 21 Dec, 2006 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackyd

Postby Janice on Wed 20 Dec, 2006 7:21 pm

Gloria M wrote:

In Denver, I had the most thorough search of all. My large purse had lots of zippers and pockets, and they opened every one--also opened my "cosmetic" case. With such a careful search, I was reluctant to take any pictures until after the intermission. When I finally got brave, I expected the "camera police" to swoop down on me at any second, but no one seemed to care at that point. I don't use flash, so maybe that helped.

--Gloria M

You experienced "the most thorough search of all" and yet you wound up with your best pictures yet! :D Makes me want to ask WHERE the camera was if they still missed it after the search but I know you can't tell or they'd LOOK THERE next time! LOL! I have never and WILL never be brave enough to attempt taking anything into an arena. I swear if I managed to get through the gate, I'd probably turn around and say, "TAKE IT!!!" and hand over the camera. :)
Janice

Postby jed on Wed 20 Dec, 2006 7:38 pm

Having people taking photos with a flash camera is very annoying and I would think distracting for singers on stage, especially in small venues like the Ferguson Center in Virginia. My pet peeve is people video taping
the concert with one of the new small cameras that allows the person taping the program to see what is being taped through a large video screen attached tot he camera. Had one of those people sitting in front of me at MSG and it was very distracting because of the brightness of the
screen. I personally would rather enjoy the concert w/o having to worry about did I get the picture or not.
jed

Return to Concert