Postby Tina on Sat 07 Oct, 2006 2:29 pm

Andrea Bocelli in concert.
Manchester October 5th, 2006.
Accompanied by; Czech National Symphony Orchestra
Prague chamber choir
Conducted by Maestro Marcello Rota
Soprano, Daniela Bruera
Baritone, Gianfranco Montresor.

Once again we travelled to Manchester, in the incessant pouring heavy rain! The visibility on the motorway was terrible, and the journey which usually would take us 45 minutes, took us over 2 hours! But nothing would stop us from seeing Andrea Bocelli! Certainly not rain!
Once safely at the Hotel, i met up with my great friend Doh, who had travelled on the train from Northamptonshire, it has been over a year since me last met, and that is way too long!
We had some time to kill, so we enjoyed a stroll around Manchester centre, stopped for a sandwich and a pot of tea, then we went back to the Hotel to ready ourselves for the evening so eagerly awaited.
Doh and I had arranged to meet another fan, Marusca, for a meal at 6pm, and i got a phone call in my room, it was Marusca who was waiting for us in the reception! Chris and I hurried down to meet her, and there she was, with her husband Geremy, they were already sitting chatting with Doh.
It was lovely to meet another new fan, and as we were exchanging hugs and kisses, another lady, Suzan, joined us! Suzan had read on the official site that we were meeting there, so the more the merrier, and we went to eat.
Well, unusually for me, everything went to plan! We had a nice meal and a bottle of red wine, and we talked non stop, getting to know each other! It was lovely!
Marusca is a beautiful lady, and very elegant with long black hair as is usual for an Italian!
My partner Chris was made up, as it gave him a chance to practise his by now quite rusty Italian! LOL
Unfortunately, Doh's partner Jim could not make it as he had the Flu and was really very ill, poor man.
After the meal, we took a taxi to the M.E.N arena, joined the queue, and Doh who had Jims spare ticket, very kindly offered it to Marusca, as it was a much better seat, 6th row centre!
Marusca was very excited, as it was her first time seeing Andrea in concert, and what a great view she had of him!
Sitting in my seat, 4th row centre, i was looking around trying to see Sally, but it was impossible to find her in the huge crowd. But, i did see Dorothy and her daughter Suzanne, who had travelled all the way from Cypruss to be there, they are also attending the Wembley concert next sunday!
Well, the orchestra took their seats, Rota came out to big applause, the lights dimmed, and we were off!
The first piece was Danza Slava no.2 by Dvorak. The orchestra were superb and i must say i recognised some of them from previous concerts.
Rota then left the stage and returned with Andrea from stage left. The audience welcomed him with rapturous applause, as befits this great man!
Andrea was wearing his Armani black tuxedo, white shirt and white bow tie. He looked a little nervous as he always does at the start, just a tight fist now and again showing his stage fright.he launched into brindisi from cavalleria Rusticana. The Prague chamber choir was a joy to behold! I have always said this song NEEDS a choir to do it full justice, and boy did they do it well!
Then the baritone with Andrea took to the stage to sing Au fond tu temple saint, from the Pearlfishers by Bizet. Gianfranco Montresor had a deep rich voice which blended perfectly with Andrea's.
Then followed Aria de Vilja from Lehars Merry Widow. Andrea was relaxing a bit more by now, blessing us with his gorgeous smile after every song, i think he was enjoying himself! He came out with the Soprano Daniella Bruera and they sang O Suave fanciulla from La Boheme. Daniella looked radiant in her lovely gown, and she sang with all her heart, just lovely!
Next came Va Pensiero from Verdi's Nabucco, which was stunning, and then came Gianfranco again singing Toreador from Carmen.
Andrea came back on stage, again to huge enrapturous applause, to treat us to Di Quella Pira from Verdi's Trovatore, then gave us another Verdi, Terzetto. He nailed the high C perfectly!
Forgive me if i have missed a few songs, but the programme did change from the original, no E Lucevan le Stelle this time.
Intermission now, which gave me a chance to speak to Doh and Marusca. Marusca was mesmerized! The look on her face was perfect! lol I think she was near to tears!
The interval went by so fast, then we took our seats to enjoy the second half.
Rota started off with Valzer Verdi, from Il Gattopardo, and then Andrea came back on stage wearing a white jacket!
He spoke to the audience, saying, 'You will see i have changed my jacket, it is not dirty, it is just that now we change the mood'!
He sand Vieni sul mar, which was a great treat for me as i was hoping i would hear this song at last! It was totally gorgeous, and then he sang 'Granada', i was hoping for this song too, and he did not dissapoint! I used my mobile phone to ring my friend Lorna so that she could hear it, and she did, loud and clear! lol
Next came Amacord, and then Funiculi funicula, this song was also a first for me hearing him sing it! Such a treat!
Mamma, and La Strada followed, and then it was the encores.
As the first bars of Besame mucho started, the audience went absolutely wild! Whistling, cheering, and a few shouts of Ti'amo Andrea, we love you Andrea, and will you marry me? were heard, which made Andrea laugh, lol
Somos novios, because we believe, and it's impossible, and the prayer followed, all to rapturous applause once again. Andrea gave us his famous wave, and he was gone.
Then followed a medley of noise from the audience, much shouting, whistling and foot stamping, because we all knew that there would be one last song, and then Andrea appeared with daniella to sing, of course his anthem, Time to say Goodbye. Even after all these years, this song when he sings it live at the end of a concert, always brings tears to my eyes.
A final wave and he was gone.
One thing i did notice though, they were not presented with any flowers at the end?? First time i have ever seen this.
But what an evening and what a fantastic concert, possibly the best i have ever been to, but i say that every year! lol
As the crowd dispersed, myself Doh and Marusca went to see the back stage security to see if it was possible for us to meet Andrea for two minutes. I had previously emailed Christina gelsi about this possibility, and i did receive a reply from Barbara Vitali, who said she could not promise anything, but to ask the security after the concert.
We waited for twenty minutes, all with bated breath and our litle hearts pounding in our humble chests.
Unfortunately, it was not meant to be. We were told that Andrea wanted to eat now, and he will be leaving immediately for Birmingham.Of course, we understood this, but it was still heartwrenchingly disappointing, especialy for Doh as it was her birthday, and it would have been the icing on the cake for her, and also for Marusca, who SO desperately wanted to heet her hero.
It was no surprise for me, as i have tried this at every UK concert, and the reply has always been the same. I think now i will give up! Maybe if we were in Italy or America we would have had a better chance? Who knows, but such is life!

Marusca's husband chauffeured us all back to the hotel, and we said our good byes, in Italian fashion! No body wanted to leave each other! lol
But we have promised to meet up again, and im sure that we will!
It was nearing midnight by now, so Doh, Chris and I celebrated for another two hours her birthday! It was fun watching her opening her presents and going over the evening in great detail!
It was a splendid day and night, one never to be forgotten, until the next time that is!
Bravo Andrea, we love you!
I will sent some photographs to Renate, watch this space!
Tina xxx
La tua voce e' come un dolce dolore nel mio cuore, non c'e nessuno migliore di te!
Tina

Postby la Gioconda on Sat 07 Oct, 2006 2:40 pm

Thanks Tina for such a detailed description of the concert. It brought the Glasgow concert back to me very vividly. I have been in a dream since Wednesday night, trying to remember every second!
la Gioconda

Postby Tina on Sat 07 Oct, 2006 3:42 pm

I have sent some photos to renate for Bocelli.de and for here, i do not know how to put them on here by myself!! There are some wonderful photos, enjoy! Tina xx
La tua voce e' come un dolce dolore nel mio cuore, non c'e nessuno migliore di te!
Tina

Postby Brittany Bowman on Sat 07 Oct, 2006 7:11 pm

Thanks Tina. That was a very gripping, detailed, and enjoyable account. Thanks for taking the time to share with us.
Beati voi poveri perché vostro è il regno di Dio.
Brittany Bowman

Postby maruscatoscana on Sat 07 Oct, 2006 9:09 pm

Tina! Hurray! You desrcibed about our first rendez-vous and our "agony and ectasy" at the concert so beautifully...... =D>

I can't wait to meet you again in celebration for our love for Andrea. I guess Jeremy, won't mind at all to chaffer me again, he's happy when he see some of my dreams come true, because we are more like friends.

Ciao carissima, and thank you again, you are so sweet! Lots of love also to Chris, Doh and Susan.

Marusca
Last edited by maruscatoscana on Sun 08 Oct, 2006 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The way to be happy is to make others happy, and we'll have a little heaven right here!!
maruscatoscana

Postby Ivannia on Sun 08 Oct, 2006 12:26 am

Hi Tina, I loved the way that you tell us about the concert I really enjoyed it and make me lauged when you said that someone said "will you marry me Andrea?" :D
I think was an unforgattable day.
Thank you and I hope to see the photos soon.
Regards
Ivannia R.
Ivannia

Postby Druska on Sun 08 Oct, 2006 1:56 am

What an incredible report! So detailed. Thank you, Tina! So many reports tell us of the emotion felt during a concert, and that is always wonderful to read. But it's nice for some of us who aren't able to attend the concerts to read about something other than Andrea was ABsolutely fantastic. We all know he's fantastic. It's the bits of detail that is often left out... how you felt when Besame Mucho started, and the crowd's reaction... How Andrea spoke to the audience. The little snipets that are so often left out. Those very special, minute details that are so often left out... Again, thank you, Tina!! Now, I'm waiting for Fipi's report about the Wembley concert! She's a special friend.
Druska

Postby kbarham on Sun 08 Oct, 2006 3:03 pm

Thanks for your post Tina.......so pleased that you had such a great time. We also had a fantastic night last night at Manchester. No flowers there too...........?
Karen
kbarham

Postby kbarham on Sun 08 Oct, 2006 3:04 pm

kbarham wrote:Thanks for your post Tina.......so pleased that you had such a great time. We also had a fantastic night last night at Manchester. No flowers there too...........?

Sorry Tina, I meant Birmingham not Manchester. This is what Andrea does to me when I've seen him in concert........ :lol: I'm sure I was at Birmingham :roll: :wink:
Karen
kbarham

Postby Tina on Sun 08 Oct, 2006 3:07 pm

Ha Karen! I Know what you mean! Did you manage to take any photos??
Tina

Postby Lelly on Sun 08 Oct, 2006 5:43 pm

Great report - thanks Tina. I was especially glad because I lost my little bit of paper with the list of songs etc. Did anyone else think that the price of the "programmes" was a bit steep at £15? I did, especially as it was really just a "brochure" of photos that we have probably all seen before!

I've just seen your photos (thanks) and they could easily have been taken in Birmingham last night - same set, suit and dress, so they will certainly be a good reminder of our night with Andrea.
Lesley
Lelly

Postby carolina1954 on Sun 08 Oct, 2006 7:36 pm

Lesley what progamme was this ? Was it the one that has the song list in it, size of half an A4 sheet ? If so, they were given free at the gate in Ireland, but there were selling big tour brochures there, and they were 15 euros.
carolina1954

Postby patriciabutler on Sun 08 Oct, 2006 8:15 pm

Carolina was that The World tour brochure you are talking about if so it seems all they have done is change the currency sign from euro to ponds.
If that is the case and euros being valued less than ponds aren't we in Enlgand being screwed again! I hope not I can't bear the thought of Andreas company doing that.
patriciabutler

Postby Lelly on Sun 08 Oct, 2006 8:27 pm

I was talking about the World Tour brochure when I said I paid £15. I too think we are being ripped off again and I feel sure that Andrea would not approve. I would like to see a proper programme with information about the orchestra, the chorus and the other artists as well as Andrea together with a full list of music to be performed. If other organisations can do this, eg the ballet, then I don't see why Andrea's management can't arrange it. I have been to the Royal Opera house, not a sports hall, paid the same price as for a ticket to see Andrea, and seen a whole company of artists with a full orchestra and paid only £10 for a souvenir programme full of beautiful original photography.

Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge a penny of what I spend to see Andrea and would probably pay more if I had to, but I do feel that someone is making to much money out of Andrea and I'm not at all comfortable with it.
Lesley
Lelly

Postby Em on Sun 08 Oct, 2006 9:25 pm

Tina dear..That was simply an outstanding report...you really know how to capture the passion of a Andrea concert...I've read your report three times...thank you for taking me there....talk about heaven, you were there and I was sitting on your shoulder..well, you know what Andrea says,never say never..
big love
Em
Em

Postby carolina1954 on Sun 08 Oct, 2006 9:43 pm

Yes, the World Tour Brochure, that was 15 euro, which is just over £10. I was umming and ahing whether to buy it but then thought, well, it has cost me a small fortune anyway, another tenner for a tenor.. :wink:
It is a nice book, with lovely photos, some of which I had not seen before.
Top tickets were 155 euro though, that is more than what it cost in the UK, other than Wembley.
We were given a free programme booklet, which had the songlist and some info on the orchestra and the usual things you expect from a programme.
carolina1954

Postby Renate on Sun 08 Oct, 2006 9:44 pm

Sorry Tina, I am late,

but now I start to work immediatly. thank you so much for the photos! I will put them on the site as soon as possilbe.
I would love to add your report, too, if you allow.

Regarding meetings with Andrea:
Believe me there is no difference between the countries. Let's say, those who told that they had a chance for a meeting after a concert have been very lucky, no matter in which country they live. In general Andrea prefers to have his quiet time before AND after a concert. Usually moreover he is in a hurry because he has to leave very soon, and surely most of the time he is really hungry. :wink:
And this is always the same, no matter whether he sings in Italy, Germany, the US or UK or elsewhere on earth. This is why Barbara Vitali couldn't promiss anything. At least she didn't want to disappoint you right away.
Renate, http://www.bocelli.de
andreabocelli.org forum moderator
Renate
Super Moderator

Re: Concert report, Manchester.

Postby Renate on Sun 08 Oct, 2006 11:30 pm

Tina wrote:I will sent some photographs to Renate, watch this space!
Tina xxx

first of Tina's marvelous pictures now at Bocelli.de

thank you very much, Tina.

More to come tomorrow (you also find more of Tina's pictures at BigFanSue's bravanet)
time to say good-night for me
Last edited by Renate on Mon 09 Oct, 2006 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Renate
Super Moderator

Postby Em on Sun 08 Oct, 2006 11:33 pm

maruscatoscana wrote:Tina! Hurray! You desrcibed about our first rendez-vous and our "agony and ectasy" at the concert so beautifully......

Marusca...Are you on earth yet???? agony and ecstacy is right..you could write a poem about that...Andrea has inspired another beautiful lady..
Em

Postby kbarham on Mon 09 Oct, 2006 12:25 pm

Tina wrote:Ha Karen! I Know what you mean! Did you manage to take any photos??

Tina, I was going to take my camera to the concert but I usually forget to use it as I'm so engrossed in the concert that I forget all about taking photos! :oops:

I loved your photos Tina. Thanks so much for sharing them with us. You're a star............ :)
Karen
kbarham

Postby Tina on Mon 09 Oct, 2006 1:46 pm

Renate, i would be honoured if you put my report onBocelli.de.
Im pleased you all like the photographs!
I also know the fan-meet situation. I realise that those fans who have been so lucky to meet Andrea are blessed, and that i reallly should not be disappointed that i was unable to meet him after the concert, as i know how tired and exhausted, and hungry he is! The last thing he wants to do is entertain! It does not stop me from hoping though!!
Tina

Postby maruscatoscana on Mon 09 Oct, 2006 4:22 pm

Em wrote:Marusca...Are you on earth yet????

Nope! I'm not! I will never come back! :bounce: even though my body has too, my spirit is still soaring and I'm ever close to Andrea, Can anyone blame me? Andrea's got the most beautiful, passionate, humble, charming personality appeal ever seen or felt in my whole entire life!!! Not need to mention his VOICE!! And I don't think I'm EXAGGERATING!!

Thank you Tina for the beautiful pics on Bocelli-de. I took a few myself, but the first ones came out blurred because I wasn't paying proper attention. I was too hypnotised by Andrea's voice, presence and aura!! :drunken: I got a couple of them alright, and the one with you, Doh and Susan was OK too.

Ciao carissime amiche
Marusca

Yes, perhaps I should take the time to write a poem about the "Ecstasies & Agonies" which in my love and admiration for Andrea, are certainly present.
The way to be happy is to make others happy, and we'll have a little heaven right here!!
maruscatoscana

Postby Renate on Mon 09 Oct, 2006 10:54 pm

more from Tina's pictures and her report from Manchester now at
the Bocelli.de fan pages

und die deutsche Seite ist nun auch angeglichen.

thanks again, Tina!
Renate
Super Moderator

Postby Michelle on Tue 10 Oct, 2006 12:27 pm

Thankyou Tina! I loved reading your report - it reminds me of both the Galway and London concerts. I am so glad everyone enjoyed the concerts they managed to get to. It is truly a special experience...
'How is the greatest tenor in the world?' asked McCormack.
'When did you become a baritone?' replied Caruso.
Michelle

Return to Concert