Bocelli concerts in Galway and Kilkenny - Reviews

Discussions about Concerts

Moderators: Renate, Management

Postby Francesca on Thu 29 Jun, 2006 6:48 pm

anna62 wrote:La déception semble être le lot des fans d'Andrea : Bercy , l'Irlande , Gênes ..... Sera-t-il remis pour Lajatico ??

Il ne faut pas confondre Bercy qui a été ANNULE sans raison connue et l'Irlande REPORTE pour raison de santé.
S'il chante les 22 et 23 juillet évidemment il chantera le 27.
Ove non sei la luce manca
Francesca

Postby carolina1954 on Thu 29 Jun, 2006 7:03 pm

Ever the optimist, I have already booked another flight to Shannon for the weekend of 22nd July ! Good old Ryanair......I may of course regret this bitterly after next Tuesday....still if they can get me there cheaply, it is less than an hour and the rewards will be well worth it :)

I shall use this coming weekend to have a nice look around Ireland without having to rush to concert venues :)
carolina1954

Postby westsiderny on Thu 29 Jun, 2006 7:20 pm

As per the announcement made by the organizers of the concerts in Ireland, these have been postponed because "Andrea's physician has confirmed that he is suffering from acute laryngotracheitis."

If you are not familiar with medical terms, here is some information:

Laryngotracheitis is the combination of the following two conditions:

Laryngitis

Tracheitis

I am sure we all know what 'acute' means.
"Canto alla vita alla sua bellezza ad ogni sua ferita ogni sua carezza..."

"I sing to life, to its beauty, to each of its wounds and each of its caresses..."
westsiderny

Postby Lelly on Thu 29 Jun, 2006 8:03 pm

acute laryngotracheitis

Speaking as one who suffers from "throats" I feel very sorry for Andrea, as this is very painful. He can only sit it out, drink lots and rest his voice. Antiobotics will not help, only time. Get well soon Andrea, we are all thinking of you.
Lesley
Lelly

Postby jed on Fri 30 Jun, 2006 7:15 pm

Andrea--keeping you in my prayers for quick recovery.
jed

Postby annacelli on Fri 30 Jun, 2006 9:44 pm

westsiderny wrote:Oh, no! Hope is nothing serious and that he will get well soon.

His physician has confirmed that Bocelli is suffering from acute laryngotracheitis.
annacelli

Postby carolina1954 on Fri 30 Jun, 2006 9:49 pm

Annelies je loopt een dagje achter :)

3 berichtjes terug en daar stond het gisteren al...
carolina1954

Postby annacelli on Fri 30 Jun, 2006 9:53 pm

carolina1954 wrote:Annelies je loopt een dagje achter :)

3 berichtjes terug en daar stond het gisteren al...

Je hebt gelijk. Erg veel te doen gehad de afgelopen dagen, zal daardoor wel komen dat ik er gewoon overheen gekeken heb.
annacelli

Postby westsiderny on Wed 05 Jul, 2006 3:55 pm

"Thousands of Kilkenny [glow=red]Andrea Bocelli[/glow] fans were disappointed last weekend to hear that the long-awaited and much-talked about Kilkenny concert had been cancelled at the eleventh hour.
"Andrea Bocelli's physician confirmed that [glow=red]Andrea Bocelli[/glow] is suffering from an acute laryngo-tracheitis.
"The blind tenor has a huge following of young and old fans. Huge crowds were expected in the city over the weekend of the show.

Full article...

"I sing to life, to its beauty, to each of its wounds and each of its caresses..."
westsiderny

Postby Joan Mulcahy on Thu 06 Jul, 2006 1:33 pm

Well, the postponements were a disappointment but you have to agree, essential. Andrea's voice is his life and his love (our's too) and had to come first.
Hopefully he will have a speedy recovery and will be in great form for the rescheduled dates in 2 weeks time.
I'm going to the Kilkenny concert and am really looking forward to it.
Roll on July 23rd........

Regards, Joan.
Joan Mulcahy

Postby la Gioconda on Fri 07 Jul, 2006 1:22 pm

I hope everyone enjoys the concert, especially whoever gets my front row seats.... :roll: We went to Kilkenny anyway last weekend and had a good time. The hotel, though, was overpriced and distinctly shabby. Anyone staying in the Springhill Court Hotel may find it a bit different from its internet description. Or maybe I am too demanding... Anyway, I really wish everyone a fantastic time and hope Andrea feels much better
la Gioconda

Postby carolina1954 on Sat 08 Jul, 2006 8:37 am

I had a stand ticket, but after having seen the stadium, I decided I needed to be closer so have managed to get a 4th row seat, that was the best one on offer from Ticketketmaster last Thursday.
I have booked a cheap hotel in the city centre, , walking distance from the stadium as I don't care where I stay, will be on cloud 9 anyway !

I also have a ticket for the Galway concert, in the stand again, but that stadium looks smaller somehow, so I think it will be ok. If not, I have Kilkenny the very next day !

2 weeks and counting ! Hope THE MAN will be fit [-o<
carolina1954

Postby westsiderny on Wed 19 Jul, 2006 3:23 pm

Salthill will resonate with the classical sounds of Andrea Bocelli this weekend as over 10,000 people are expected at Pearse Stadium for the rescheduled Italian opera star's concert on Saturday.
The show was originally planned for Saturday 1 July but organisers Aiken Promotions were forced to cancel after Mr Bocelli suffered acute laryngo-tracheitis. All tickets from the postponed show are valid for the new date.

Rescheduled Bocelli show this Saturday

westsiderny

Postby westsiderny on Thu 20 Jul, 2006 3:40 pm

Bocelli will stay over in Galway after concert
The classical singer [glow=red]Andrea Bocelli [/glow]will finally make the trip to Galway to play in Pearse Stadium on Saturday July 22. Bocelli is expected to arrive into Ireland on Saturday and will be staying the night in Galway after the concert before travelling to Kilkenny for his second concert in Nowlan Park on Sunday July 23. The Italian singer was due to play in Galway on July 1, however he had to cancel the concert due to illness.

Read more...

westsiderny

Postby la Gioconda on Sun 23 Jul, 2006 6:05 pm

Well? How was the concert? I am sitting at home when I should have been at the re-scheduled Kilkenny concert. A report about last night's concert would cheer me up. I do not know how I will feel about a report from tonight's concert in Kilkenny. Who got my front row seats?!! Que je suis triste!
la Gioconda

Postby Francesca on Mon 24 Jul, 2006 6:17 am

Gioconda, si quelqu'un peut comprendre ta tristesse c'est bien moi.....

Je te souhaite d'avoir très bientôt une autre occasion de concert, tu peux l'espérer toi. :)
Ove non sei la luce manca
Francesca

Postby carolina1954 on Mon 24 Jul, 2006 10:23 am

It was GREAT ! and so was Galway...
See Bocelliland.....quicker to get on there...

I will post some more later this evening when I am home and hopefully some photos. They look good on the camera, but how they will look on the computer....who knows ?
carolina1954

Postby westsiderny on Mon 24 Jul, 2006 11:19 am

Bland, ordinary arias drift on the breeze
Monday July 24th 2006
ANDREA Bocelli at the Pearse Stadium, Galway, was a bit like Oxegen for the SSIA generation, delighted at the chance to pay €155 a head for tickets to their very own outdoor gig on a summer's night.

The venue wasn't quite the amphitheatre in Verona, where if I had a choice between hearing Andrea Bocelli sing, or not, I might be tempted to cross the street and abandon my pasta and chianti.

However, a stage on the local GAA pitch with a fluttering polythene roof doesn't generate the same warm glow, and it was hard not to feel a little bit like we were being taken to a very expensive cleaners where they played suitably ambient music to dull our senses.

Bocelli received a warm reception from the audience, clearly relieved this concert was finally going ahead after a cancellation two weeks ago due to the singer's sore throat.

In the first half of the programme, accompanied by the Czech National Symphony Orchestra under the baton of Marcello Rota, backed by the Prague Chamber Choir, and in the occasional duet with Doriana Milazzo and Gianfranco Montresor, Bocelli plodded through the basic checklist of popular operatic arias, one drifting off after another on the breeze.

Bland is perhaps the best word to describe their effect. Nothing about either the voice or the interpretation suggested anything beyond the ordinary. The polite but clearly underwhelmed response of the audience adding to the atmosphere of an event rapidly losing its initial momentum.

In a more intimate setting, without the mega sound system which neuters most classical performers, solo, choral and orchestral, a more emotionally authentic evening's entertainment might have taken place, but this was not it. The real challenge was enduring the relentless middle-of-the-road elevator tunes.

MARY COLL

http://www.unison.ie/entertainment/musi ... si=1659203

westsiderny

Postby syl on Mon 24 Jul, 2006 7:53 pm

"The real challenge was enduring the relentless middle-of-the-road elevator tunes"
Wow,this critic was clearly annoyed at the performance. Does anyone know if she is a local critic or from another country? Maybe outdoor concerts of this type are not appropriate. I will be interested to learn how others who were there percieved the performance.
syl

Postby westsiderny on Mon 24 Jul, 2006 8:40 pm

As per Mr. Google, Mary Coll is an Irish writer, critic and broadcaster and lives in Limerick. Her book 'All Things Considered'(The Cliffs of Moher, Co Clare, Salmon Poetry, 2002) is a collection of poems which explore relationships, what can be resolved and what can hardly be understood. It is a journey through the various ties that bind, which turns each one over like a series of photographs to form a lyrical collage of the emotional life. :?: :!:

westsiderny

Postby carolina1954 on Mon 24 Jul, 2006 11:39 pm

The woman needs to go back to her books !
Yes it was an outdoor pitch and yes there was flapping polythene and a mega sound system - how else can this sort of concert be staged ?
It had been an awful few days with rain and it was cold, and windy, but as far as I could judge, everybody who was there thoroughly enjoyed it. I certainly heard no complaints . There was a standing ovation at the end. People don't bother to do that if they did not enjoy it.
carolina1954

Postby syl on Wed 26 Jul, 2006 1:32 pm

Westsiderny......
I have no idea what Mary Coll's book is about, but I appreciate you answering my querry. Maybe her negative review reflects more about the lyrical collage of her emotional life.
syl

Postby la Gioconda on Wed 26 Jul, 2006 2:45 pm

carolina1954 wrote:It was GREAT ! and so was Galway...
See Bocelliland.....quicker to get on there...

I will post some more later this evening when I am home and hopefully some photos. They look good on the camera, but how they will look on the computer....who knows ?

I would love to hear how the concerts went and see any photos you have taken. Thanks in anticipation, Carolina!
la Gioconda

Postby westsiderny on Wed 26 Jul, 2006 2:58 pm

syl wrote:Maybe her negative review reflects more about the lyrical collage of her emotional life.

I won't lose any sleep about her negative review. Considering the circumstances, like the bad weather for instance, I guess she was doing the assignment against her will. I bet she couldn't wait to get out of there a.s.a.p. and have some food and a good drink and maybe she didn't even stayed til to the end. I don't know what her book is about either and I don't care. I looked in the Internet for her background and that's the only info I could find. So, forget about it. One of the few that don't appreciate Andrea's talent counts for nothing compared with the millions of people that admire and love him. Period.

westsiderny

Postby carolina1954 on Wed 26 Jul, 2006 3:13 pm

ABsolutely Nellie - right on the nail ! =D>
carolina1954

PreviousNext

Return to Concert