Star Tenor Jerry Hadley on Life Support

Discussions about Operas

Moderators: Renate, Management

Star Tenor Jerry Hadley on Life Support

Postby Southerngirl on Fri 13 Jul, 2007 1:35 am

Celebrated tenor Jerry Hadley remained hospitalized Thursday for a gunshot wound police said was self-inflicted.

I don't know Jerry Hadley but he has tragically shot himself. See below for the link to the article.

http://www.comcast.net/music/index.jsp? ... =itn_tenor

Join me in praying for him and his family.
"You see clearly only through your heart. The essential is invisible to the eye." Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Southerngirl

Postby Janice on Fri 13 Jul, 2007 2:44 am

I never have heard him sing at all but sometime in the mid 90s I attended, with a friend at the time who was a fan, a signing he did at a music shop. He seemed like a nice guy. I'm sorry to learn his life didn't turn out the way he would've planned it.
Janice

Postby Southerngirl on Fri 13 Jul, 2007 3:29 am

I've never heard of him either, but, until Andrea, I never had an interest in opera at all and only knew of those who had achieved world-wide fame.

It is sad that his life was so painful to him that he felt he had no other choice but to end it. I know depression can make you feel like that - but it's such a shame he did not get help before it came to this.

I read an article tonight that said Hadley had recently performed Werther and I couldn't help but think that this is Andrea'a recent opera also. I wonder if they knew each other. I wondered the same thing when Beverly Sills passed away - if they had ever worked together.
"You see clearly only through your heart. The essential is invisible to the eye." Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Southerngirl

Postby Cami McNamee on Fri 13 Jul, 2007 3:25 pm

Southerngirl wrote:I read an article tonight that said Hadley had recently performed Werther and I couldn't help but think that this is Andrea'a recent opera also. I wonder if they knew each other.

I am not aware that they ever worked together, and I don't know if they had ever met, but I do remember an interview a couple of years ago in which Hadley defended Andrea's voice and had kind things to say about him. Such remarks are not always well-received in the inner sanctum of opera, and I thought at the time it was a courageous gesture. One of the more high profile moments in his career was performing in the premiere of the new American opera "The Great Gatsby."

I am very sad to hear this news and will keep him and his family in my prayers and hope against hope that he might recover. It does not sound good.

Cami
Cami McNamee

Postby Gloria M on Fri 13 Jul, 2007 4:44 pm

Cami McNamee wrote:
I am not aware that they ever worked together, and I don't know if they had ever met, but I do remember an interview a couple of years ago in which Hadley defended Andrea's voice and had kind things to say about him. Such remarks are not always well-received in the inner sanctum of opera, and I thought at the time it was a courageous gesture....

Cami

From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, March 10, 2000

On Andrea Bocelli: Perhaps surprisingly, Hadley supports the visually impaired Italian singer with a pop background who has lorded over the classical charts. "I think that all of the flak that Andrea Bocelli has taken is bogus," he says. "Mr. Bocelli has a beautiful voice, he's extremely expressive." If he didn't have his physical impairment, suggests Hadley, "he might have had a whole different career."

Hadley thinks unneeded insecurities drive much of the Bocelli backlash. "I think that people fear that a phenomenon like Andrea Bocelli will change in a heartbeat our perception of the way opera should sound," he says. "Human beings should be given more credit than that." The issue has become too personal, as well, and Hadley thinks singers have lost sight of the bigger picture. "The success of another person in no way diminishes me; if another tenor fails, it in no way elevates me."

http://www.post-gazette.com/magazine/20000309opera2.asp

Lovely words indeed, Cami. Thanks for mentioning this. Mr. Hadley is in my thoughts and prayers.

--Gloria M
Gloria M

Postby DueBaci on Fri 13 Jul, 2007 5:58 pm

:cry: .. it just breaks my heart ...

and I will certainly keep him and his family in my prayers..
DueBaci

Postby Cami McNamee on Fri 13 Jul, 2007 6:30 pm

Oh Gloria, a thousand thanks for finding the article I had remembered.

We can always count on you to put your finger on archived information from long ago, and I am always grateful that you have this skill. But it is so wonderful in this instance that we can appreciate this man and his obviously good heart through these wise and kind words.

Cami
Cami McNamee

Postby westsiderny on Fri 13 Jul, 2007 6:44 pm

"The success of another person in no way diminishes me; if another tenor fails, it in no way elevates me."

Words that many people should remember when trying to compare other tenors with Andrea. I am sure Andrea feels the same way.

Thanks Gloria for finding this article. Let's pray for Mr. Hadley and family.
"Canto alla vita alla sua bellezza ad ogni sua ferita ogni sua carezza..."

"I sing to life, to its beauty, to each of its wounds and each of its caresses..."
westsiderny

Postby Motoko on Sat 14 Jul, 2007 2:51 am

I first hear the name of Jerry Hadley but I am very sorry to hear about his tragedy. And Gloria, thanks for the interesting article and thanks Southerngirl for giving us a heads up!

What a great voice Jerry Hadley has!
Watch him sing on YouTube!

Jerry Hadley L'arlesiana "Il lamento di Federico"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvNmK13r1fU

Jerry Hadley, Soviero, Nucci Traviata
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBlBVkk0lmw
Motoko

Postby Southerngirl on Sat 14 Jul, 2007 3:37 am

Thanks, Motoko, for the links. This is such a sad thing. What an incredible talent. It's hard to know what was going on in his life that it came to this. What a shame - may God bless him.
Southerngirl

Postby bumblebee_miriam06 on Sun 15 Jul, 2007 6:38 am

Is just sad to see that some one so especial and could just have a lovely life is so waisted by misfortunes and not be able to have faith in his life !And not be able to open his heart and find a friend to help!

May God forgive him and give piece to his soul!
bumblebee_miriam06

Postby Cami McNamee on Tue 17 Jul, 2007 9:28 pm

Sadly, this update on Jerry Hadley has been posted on an opera chatlist that I frequently visit:

From Celia Novo Hadley family spokesperson:

Jerry Hadley has received the last rights of the Roman Catholic Church and
life support has been removed.

He is not in pain and will be kept comfortable until he passes.

Our prayers will continue for him and for his family.

Cami
Cami McNamee

Postby DueBaci on Tue 17 Jul, 2007 11:46 pm

thank you for the update Cami.

here's the link to the report of you'd like to read it.

link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19793270/
DueBaci

Postby kaycarley on Wed 18 Jul, 2007 7:54 am

So sad to read the trgic news about this sensitive and talented man Just before reading the comments above I had been watching some old videos of Andrea and thinking how churlish of anyone to ask for more than he gives.
We really should ignore the critics while accepting that sometimes they may have a point. If everything Andrea did was always perfect he would be a machine not a man . We should be grateful for the beauty of his voice and his charm and charisma. I have never seen or heard anyone i thought was equal to him. This of course, is subjective.
I have always enjoyed the tenor voice andcan take any number of them with their unique qualities.
I agree with Mr Hadleyand Westsiderny.
kaycarley

Postby Glory_94 on Wed 18 Jul, 2007 8:30 am

I agree with everyone, really... my prayer will be even for Jerry Hadley... :(
oO°-- Tutto ciò che sappiamo dell'amore è che l'amore è tutto!! --°Oo
Glory_94

Postby Cami McNamee on Wed 18 Jul, 2007 1:32 pm

Jerry Hadley is from central Illinois and there is a very interesting article about him in the Peoria Journal Star. Here is the link:

http://www.pjstar.com/stories/071507/TR ... BU.026.php

The reason I find this interesting is that the comments from people about Mr. Hadley remind me in many ways about the ways that people react to Andrea and to his voice. Both men seem to know who they are and to have a sense of genuineness and humility that somehow communicates itself through their voice. As I have read more about Jerry Hadley, it seems less and less surprising that he would have recognized the best qualities of Andrea and would have been a supporter.

God bless him.

Cami
Cami McNamee

Postby Cami McNamee on Wed 18 Jul, 2007 6:08 pm

For those following this story, sad news to deliver, although not unexpected:

POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. (AP) - Opera singer Jerry Hadley died Wednesday,

just over a week after he was severely injured in an apparent suicide

attempt, a family spokeswoman said.

The 55-year-old tenor died at 11:20 a.m., two days after doctors at

St. Francis Hospital in Poughkeepsie took him off life support, said

family friend and spokeswoman Celia Novo.

May he rest in peace.

Cami
Cami McNamee

Postby Glory_94 on Wed 18 Jul, 2007 6:32 pm

I'm so sad for him... :(
oO°-- Tutto ciò che sappiamo dell'amore è che l'amore è tutto!! --°Oo
Glory_94

Postby eleanora on Wed 18 Jul, 2007 8:08 pm

May he rest in peace
eleanora

Postby crocodileshoes on Thu 19 Jul, 2007 9:55 am

Such a very sad way for a life to end; may he be at peace now.
crocodileshoes

Return to Opera