Who will be the next Pavarotti?

Discussions about Operas

Moderators: Renate, Management

Who will be the next Pavarotti?

Postby westsiderny on Tue 12 Dec, 2006 11:10 pm

FOUR TENORS: Meet Luciano's possible heirs

Pavarotti has endorsed a number of rising young tenors and seen several posited as potential heirs. But the question of his succession has grown more pressing in recent months. The man who has been opera's most famous face and voice for more than a quarter century turned 71 in October and is waging a battle with pancreatic cancer, diagnosed last summer. In July, the singer was forced to postpone dates on his farewell tour, which began in 2005. The concerts will resume next year if his health allows.

Fans and colleagues clearly hope he can return for a last hurrah. "I'm sure that Luciano would say, 'I'm not going anywhere,' " says Chris Roberts, head of the Universal Classics Group, which includes Pavarotti on its roster.

Still, with the King of the high C's nearing the end of his professional journey, many are wondering who, if anyone, could replace him. With his limpid voice and larger-than-life personality, he captured the public's fascination even more than Three Tenors cohorts Placido Domingo and Jose Carreras — perhaps more than any male opera singer since Enrico Caruso or Hollywood tenor Mario Lanza.

Full article...
"Canto alla vita alla sua bellezza ad ogni sua ferita ogni sua carezza..."

"I sing to life, to its beauty, to each of its wounds and each of its caresses..."
westsiderny

Postby Lelly on Wed 13 Dec, 2006 7:30 pm

What a load of rubbish - there'll never be another Luciano, the same as there'll never be another Bocelli, or Domingo, Carreras, etc., etc.
Lesley
Lelly

Replacement for Pavarotti?

Postby Christina V on Wed 13 Dec, 2006 7:41 pm

Replacement?

I agree with you Lesley, Each one of these great tenors can stand alone. Each has their own legendary and signature sound and style. Anyone who thinks they can replace someone else is a fool.
Christina V

Postby jed on Wed 13 Dec, 2006 11:49 pm

Goodness knows there will never be another Corelli!
jed

Postby Janice on Wed 13 Dec, 2006 11:58 pm

And I'd bet these performers would be the first to agree. I'm sure they don't want to be thought of as the "next" Pavarotti or the next anybody else. They need to be who they are and leave it at that. If they start trying to be Pav, there will be no them anymore and that would be a loss to their fans.
Janice

Postby Brittany Bowman on Thu 14 Dec, 2006 1:58 am

Goodness knows there will never be another Corelli!

Amen to that, Jed.
Beati voi poveri perché vostro è il regno di Dio.
Brittany Bowman

Postby westsiderny on Thu 14 Dec, 2006 4:36 am

I am reading this differently. I don't think that saying 'the next Pavarotti' they mean someone that sings like him. To me, it means a tenor with the same quality, if a little bit less would be fine too, that will occupy the spot he will be leaving. With so many good tenors out there, I am afraido they will have to toss a coin. The next Pavarotti = The next best tenor of this time... How's that?

"I sing to life, to its beauty, to each of its wounds and each of its caresses..."
westsiderny

Postby anna62 on Thu 14 Dec, 2006 8:50 am

En tout cas , ce ne sera sûrement pas Alagna !!
L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux , on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur ...

Si puo' vedere chiaramente solo attraverso il cuore . L'essenziale é invisible agli occhi ...
anna62

Postby Alexandra on Thu 14 Dec, 2006 9:23 am

What a poor and miserable fate to be called "next Pavarotti" in any possible sense of these words. To be compared with him is a great honour for anyone, but to be named the second Luciano or the second whoever means stay in his great shadow and dangerous not to become the first yourself!
That best portion of a good man’s life, — his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love.
William Wordsworth
Alexandra

Postby Michelle on Thu 14 Dec, 2006 10:50 am

It's true that you read this in a number of ways - perhaps the author could have been more clear in their intention. It is very common, especially in the world of sports and the arts, for newcomers to be hailed as the 'next such-and-such a person'. It usually annoys the newcomers no end as they are trying to establish their own name and style - especially if it carries on for some time. You have no idea how tired Irish bands became of being hailed as the 'next U2'...
'How is the greatest tenor in the world?' asked McCormack.
'When did you become a baritone?' replied Caruso.
Michelle

Postby Alexandra on Thu 14 Dec, 2006 11:05 am

I wonder how was called Pavarotti in the beginning of his career? :idea:
My heartful regrets to all Irish bands :lol:
That best portion of a good man’s life, — his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love.
William Wordsworth
Alexandra

Postby westsiderny on Thu 14 Dec, 2006 5:08 pm

According to the Metropolitan Opera, the most famous tenor prior to Luciano Pavarotti was Franco Corelli and prior to Corelli the most famous tenor was Enrico Caruso. I don't know if Pavarotti was called the new Corelli or if Corelli was called the new Caruso. You will have to find/figure out that yourselves. Here is some help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enrico_Caruso

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco_Corelli

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luciano_Pavarotti

westsiderny

Postby Alexandra on Thu 14 Dec, 2006 6:16 pm

thanks westsideerny! Looking in wikipedia one can find out, that tenor Luciano Pavarotti is also known as... Pavarotti! ;-) :-) :-) very funny! I ll read the rest tomorrow, maybe there will some more sensational information there! :-)
William Wordsworth
Alexandra

Return to Opera