Opera

Discussions about Operas

Moderators: Renate, Management

Opera

Postby Darcy on Tue 21 Nov, 2006 9:50 am

Is anyone able to tell me if there are plans to release any of Andrea's operas on DVD? I love listening to them on CD, and intend to get to a performance of one of Andrea's operas, one day (I've happily attended concerts), but it would be wonderful to have them on DVD.
At least one of them has been televised, I understand, so there must be a copy of that, somewhere...
I've DVDs of other operas, including from Teatro alla Scala and the Metropolitan and Royal Opera Houses, but one of Andrea's on DVD would be the most SUPERB.
Darcy

Postby Michelle on Tue 21 Nov, 2006 9:58 am

That would be brilliant! I'd love to see any of them on DVD, especailly Il Trovatore - I just love that opera.
'How is the greatest tenor in the world?' asked McCormack.
'When did you become a baritone?' replied Caruso.
Michelle

Postby Darcy on Tue 21 Nov, 2006 10:06 am

Me, too! I LOVE Andrea's on CD, of course, but if you are interested in a DVD of it (in the sad absence of "Our Lad's"), you might like the BBC one, recorded at the Royal Opera House, and featuring Jose Cura, Dmitri Hvorostovsky, Yvonne Naef and Veronica Villarroel. Much prefer Andrea's "Mancrico" to Cura's (natch), but Hvorostovsky is a brilliant "Count di Luna", and both the women are good, particularly "Azucena".
Darcy

Postby Darcy on Tue 21 Nov, 2006 10:08 am

Forgot to say, Michelle, bought my copy of the above DVD from Amazon. (For typo "Mancrico", above, please read "Manrico"!)
Darcy

Postby Michelle on Tue 21 Nov, 2006 3:18 pm

Thanks Darcy - Amazon here I come! (Again!!!!)
Michelle

Re: Opera

Postby janrdobbs on Tue 21 Nov, 2006 6:49 pm

Darcy wrote:Is anyone able to tell me if there are plans to release any of Andrea's operas on DVD? I love listening to them on CD, and intend to get to a performance of one of Andrea's operas, one day (I've happily attended concerts), but it would be wonderful to have them on DVD.
At least one of them has been televised, I understand, so there must be a copy of that, somewhere...
I've DVDs of other operas, including from Teatro alla Scala and the Metropolitan and Royal Opera Houses, but one of Andrea's on DVD would be the most SUPERB.

Darcy, have you tried the http://www.houseofopera.com ? I bought the dvd of Puccini's 'La Boheme' (Andrea's first live opera I think) Andrea is amazing in it! The quality isnt guaranteed with these dvds but mine is fine. Here's the link http://store.operapassion.com/dvd10011.html
Other than that I dont think there are any others available.

-Jan
janrdobbs

Postby Darcy on Wed 22 Nov, 2006 1:06 am

Thanks VERY much, Jan, for that brill piece of information. I shall do that right away. Great!
Darcy

Postby Michelle on Wed 22 Nov, 2006 10:13 am

Thanks Jan - I've just ordered it!!!! Another thing to look forward to in the mail!
Michelle

Postby Darcy on Wed 22 Nov, 2006 11:58 am

"For the Benefit of English Speakers" - The plot of "Carmen" taken from programme notes at the Carlo Felice Opera House in Genoa (from "The Return of Heroic Failures" by Stephen Pile)...
Act One: Carmen, a cigarmakeress from a tobago factory loves Don Jose of the mounting guard. Carmen takes a flower from her corsets and lances it to Don Jose. (Duet: "Talk me of my mother") There was noise in side the tobago factory and revolting cigarmakeresses burst on to the stage. Carmen is arrested and Don Jose is ordered to mounting guard on her but she subduces him and lets her escape.
Act Two: The Tavern. Carmen sings (Aria: "The sistrums tinkling") Enter two smugglers ("Ho, we have in mind a business") Enter Escamillio, a Balls Fighter. Carmen refuses to penetrate because Don Jose has liberated her from prison. He just now arrives. (Aria: "Slop-here who comes") But here are the bugles singing his retreat. Don Jose will leave and draws his sword. Called by Carmen's shrieks the two smugglers interfere with her. Jose is bound to dessert. Final Chorus: "Opening Sky Wandering Life".

Anybody fancy Acts Three (mercifully short) and Four (same length as above, sadly)?
Darcy

Postby janrdobbs on Wed 22 Nov, 2006 3:02 pm

Darcy wrote:Thanks VERY much, Jan, for that brill piece of information. I shall do that right away. Great!

Michelle wrote:Thanks Jan - I've just ordered it!!!! Another thing to look forward to in the mail!

You're welcome! Dont you just love that anticipation?!!!! :lol:

-Jan
janrdobbs

Postby westsiderny on Wed 22 Nov, 2006 4:53 pm

Darcy wrote:Anybody fancy Acts Three (mercifully short) and Four (same length as above, sadly)?

I volunteer to include a link to the "Carmen" synopsis! How's that? :)

http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/ ... .aspx?id=9
"Canto alla vita alla sua bellezza ad ogni sua ferita ogni sua carezza..."

"I sing to life, to its beauty, to each of its wounds and each of its caresses..."
westsiderny

Postby Michelle on Wed 22 Nov, 2006 5:41 pm

I want to hear more about the 'mounting guard'... :)
Michelle

Postby Darcy on Wed 22 Nov, 2006 7:39 pm

Thanks, Westsiderny, for that rather more sensible version. Now, Michelle, for the rest of the mounting guard, since you requested it (thought you'd never ask)...

Act Three: A rocky landscape. Smugglers chatter. Carmen sees her death in the cards. Don Jose makes a date with her for the next Balls Fight.
Act Four: A Place in Seville. Procession of Balls-Fighters. The roaring of balls in heard in the arena. Escamillio enters (Aria and chorus: "Toreador, Toreador. All hail the balls of the toreador.") Enter Don Jose (Aria: "I besmooch you.") Carmen repels him. She wants to join with Escamillio now chaired by the crowd. Don Jose stabs her. (Aria: "Oh, rupture, rupture.") He signs: "Oh, my subductive Carmen."

Phew! I am quite exhausted.
Darcy

Postby Lelly on Wed 22 Nov, 2006 8:59 pm

Phew! I am quite exhausted

And so am I! I haven't laughed so much for a long time! After a rotten day at work, this was just what I needed. Thanks Darcy!
Lesley
Lelly

Postby Michelle on Thu 23 Nov, 2006 11:13 am

*wipes tears of laughter from eyes*
... 'balls of the toreador'.... priceless...

Thanks Darcy!
Michelle

Postby LaCavallerizza on Thu 23 Nov, 2006 6:17 pm

This is all just too funny, people at work are starting to wonder what I'm laughing at..hehe!

And I ordered the LaBoheme too - thanks for the tip Jan!
Jenny
LaCavallerizza

Postby Michelle on Tue 19 Dec, 2006 10:14 am

Thanks again Jan for the above link - my DVD of Andrea's La Boheme arrived yesterday and, needless to say, I watched it last night. I still can't get it out of my head - wonderful! Having the Italian subtitles will improve my Italian no end, not to mention my appreciation of the opera itself.

Quality-wise, this looks to me like the opera was recorded onto VHS tape from Italian TV, and then copied onto DVD. The quality isn't the best, but it isn't the worst either! Well worth it!
Michelle

Return to Opera