Placido Domingo to write "The Joy of Opera"

Discussions about Operas

Moderators: Renate, Management

Placido Domingo to write "The Joy of Opera"

Postby westsiderny on Sun 01 Oct, 2006 1:31 am

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Placido Domingo is writing "The Joy of Opera," a book to be published in 2009, in which the renowned tenor will offer insights into masterpieces and what makes a singer great.
New York publisher W.W. Norton said it had acquired worldwide rights to the book, which it said will reveal how opera works on both sides of the curtain and how it is best experienced and savored.
"Opera for so many people remains a mystery, a curious and strange art form when it really should be much more part of our everyday lives," Domingo writes in the book, Norton said in a statement.

Read more...
"Canto alla vita alla sua bellezza ad ogni sua ferita ogni sua carezza..."

"I sing to life, to its beauty, to each of its wounds and each of its caresses..."
westsiderny

Postby Michelle on Mon 02 Oct, 2006 9:32 am

That sounds like a great read, but 2009 is sooooo far away!
'How is the greatest tenor in the world?' asked McCormack.
'When did you become a baritone?' replied Caruso.
Michelle

Postby LaCavallerizza on Mon 02 Oct, 2006 4:26 pm

Sounds like an interesting book!

It’s going to “reveal how opera is best experienced and savored”? I think we all know the answer to that one already…
it’s called a Bocelli concert! :) :)

Actually I want to see La Traviata in May and I’m trying to decide if it’s better to learn the words in Italian first. Some people tell me it’s better to just experience an opera the first time when you see it, others say they get more out of it if they know the story before hand rather than relying only on English surtitles. I think I’m leaning towards learning it first….since I went into a classical music store the other day to buy it…..oh but of course I also walked out with Andrea’s La Bohème, Tosca and Werther!!!
LaCavallerizza

Postby westsiderny on Mon 02 Oct, 2006 5:07 pm

I think you should at least read the synopsis first and get acquainted withthe story and the characters. Then, get a video and watch it beforehand but don't try to compare afterwards. That's a mistake most people make. Or you like it or you don't, no matter how good or bad the performers are. It is only up to you. :wink:

"I sing to life, to its beauty, to each of its wounds and each of its caresses..."
westsiderny

Postby LaCavallerizza on Tue 03 Oct, 2006 1:30 am

Thanks for the imput, it's much appreciated!
LaCavallerizza

Postby Michelle on Tue 03 Oct, 2006 10:04 am

I like to know a little of the story I have to admit, if not be familiar with the language. Although it can be interesting sometimes to listen first and then read about the story - to see if your first impressions match with the actual story.
'How is the greatest tenor in the world?' asked McCormack.
'When did you become a baritone?' replied Caruso.
Michelle

Postby westsiderny on Tue 03 Oct, 2006 5:34 pm

While we wait for the publication of Mr. Doming's book, I recommend to first time opera goers to read the following recommendations from The Metropolitan Opera:

http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/ ... enres.aspx

westsiderny

Postby LaCavallerizza on Wed 04 Oct, 2006 8:48 pm

That's a great summary of all the operas. Thanks! (save me from having to read "Opera for Dummies" for the time being! :)

Also a good idea Michelle. Well that's it then, I have a plan... I just have to see two opera's this coming season, and then compare experiences!
LaCavallerizza

Postby Maggieg on Tue 10 Oct, 2006 9:33 am

Thanks for this information that is a must have read!
Maggieg

Return to Opera