Utah singer a winner in Italy

Discussions about Operas

Moderators: Renate, Management

Utah singer a winner in Italy

Postby westsiderny on Sat 30 Sep, 2006 6:54 pm

Ginger Costa-Jackson may be young, but she's a vocal force to be reckoned with. A local talent from Sandy, Costa-Jackson has just walked away with the first prize at the Leoncavallo Festival in Italy.
Of the 70 entrants in the contest, Costa-Jackson -- at age 19 -- was the youngest to enter. (She has since turned 20.) "Most of them were mostly 30s, late-30s, even some in their 40s," she said by phone from Palermo, Italy. "The youngest girl next to me was 26. There was quite an age gap. They were people who have already launched careers.
"About 10 of them came from the conservatory in Rome, the Santa Cecilia, which is very famous, and there was one lady in particular who had just graduated from La Scala in Milano, which is the best theater you can sing in."
Costa-Jackson said the international competition attracted singers from all over the world and is held in Montalto Uffugo, the childhood home of opera composer Ruggiero Leoncavallo (composer of "I Pagliacci").
As first-place prize-winner, Costa-Jackson said she was awarded the "Pagliaccetto d'Oro." medallion, an honorary diploma and a 2,000 Euro cash prize (about $2,500).

Read more...
"Canto alla vita alla sua bellezza ad ogni sua ferita ogni sua carezza..."

"I sing to life, to its beauty, to each of its wounds and each of its caresses..."
westsiderny

Postby maruscatoscana on Sat 30 Sep, 2006 9:56 pm

Molto interessante, westsiderny

When I was 13, in Italy in a small village, I took part of a singing competition, I was the youngest, most were 17/18 or more, I didn't make it to the final, but the next year I tried again, I didn't win but a least I made to the final :wink: before that I never had any training, I remember when I was rehearsing, I wasn't really understanding the rules, anyway they let me sing anyway as I was so entusiastic and determined, I guess I must've been, a least on tune....not "stonata" otherwise I don't think they would've even considering to let me partecipate :lol: I won a little medal, the winner won a silver rose. After that I didn't really trained, maybe I should have, I love singing and play guitar, but very simply...
The way to be happy is to make others happy, and we'll have a little heaven right here!!
maruscatoscana

Postby westsiderny on Sat 30 Sep, 2006 10:55 pm

Yes Marusca, a very inspiring story. You also saw Andrea singing when he was only 12 years old. My first participation in a radio singing competion was when I was 10 years old and it was in a program for youngsters. The program was called "Radio Club Infantil" and most of the children/youngsters that were performing regularly there became very well known musicians. I love singing and I try to sing with Andrea but I almost end up chocking because I can't breath the way he does... If I try to hold a note like him, I will collapse... :)
Last edited by westsiderny on Sun 01 Oct, 2006 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

"I sing to life, to its beauty, to each of its wounds and each of its caresses..."
westsiderny

Postby Baroque1685 on Sat 30 Sep, 2006 11:39 pm

Both of you have neat stories too. I've never competed, but I love it when I'm with several acquaintances and we start singing in rounds. This only happens once a year. Oh, what we sang comes flooding back. "Hey, ho nobody's home..." - one peasant song among the other things. On the way to the cafeteria, to the auditorium and in the music rooms we sang our hearts out, and I would play flute with them when I could. Sometimes I'll sing along with Andrea and more than not I can hold the note as long, but I feel like my singing isn't good enough to even join a hillbilly band!!!! :oops:
~Soli Deo Gloria~ "All music...should have no other end and aim than the glory of God and the recreation of the soul; where this is not kept in mind, there is no true music, but only infernal clamour and ranting."~Johann Sebastian Bach
Baroque1685

Postby maruscatoscana on Sun 01 Oct, 2006 6:34 pm

westsiderny wrote:I love singing and I try to sing with Andrea but I almost end up chocking because I can't breath the way he does... If I try to hold a note like him, I will collapse...

Baroque wrote:I'll sing along with Andrea and more than not I can hold the note as long, but I feel like my singing isn't good enough to even join a hillbilly band

:lol: :lol:

I lke to sing along with Andrea too, especially the songs when he's in a duet with women, I like a lot: Vivo per Lei with Judy Weiss, or L'Abitudine, because I can reach some of those female's note :shock: The Prayer it's more challenging, obviously I can't even come "near no far"as Celine Dion! I like so much In Canto there are not female there so I'm the one, ha! I can never get tired of watching it on the video clip....
Last edited by maruscatoscana on Sun 01 Oct, 2006 10:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
The way to be happy is to make others happy, and we'll have a little heaven right here!!
maruscatoscana

Postby maruscatoscana on Sun 01 Oct, 2006 9:44 pm

westsiderny wrote: You also saw Andrea singing when he was only 12 years old

I saw Andrea singing at the cafe' Margherita, I was spellbound by his singing O' sole mio...and some other Napolitan songs...but that wasn't the time when he won the Margherita d'Oro, because in his Biography it says that the time he won was in 1970. And I'm quite sure that that wasn't the time I met him because in 1970 I was still in my family's little village with my mom, only in '72 I moved to stay with my elder sister in Viareggio I was a young teen myself, so when I met him it must have been around August of 1972, therefore Andrea must have been 13, I even invited him at the table which one of my older friend kindly arranged for me, because he knew how much I desired to meet Andrea... one strange thing though, that I can't understand is: How couldn't I not realise that he couldn''t see very well at that time....he looked normal and quite confident to me....isn't a a mistery? :scratch:
maruscatoscana

Postby LaCavallerizza on Mon 02 Oct, 2006 4:35 pm

Unfortunately I can’t sing and definitely would never be able to hold a note like that…I’ve been listening to “En Aranjuez con tu Amor” a lot lately. I love that song, and the last note on that one seems to go on forever! The other night, being in a rather silly mood I guess, for some reason I decided to tried holding my breath for the whole time he holds the note….well that was painful!

But here’s a question, can anyone sing along with Andrea in “La Danza” and keep up with him? :)
That’s kind of a fun song!
LaCavallerizza

Postby Ivannia on Mon 02 Oct, 2006 5:27 pm

I tried to sing some notes of my favorites Andrea' songs and I must to confess I almost stifled!!! And yes it was painful and embarrassed. Of course I am not a singer at all! jajajaja :oops: Can you imagine the picture??? :scratch:
This matter is only for professionals
Ivannia R.
Ivannia

Postby maruscatoscana on Mon 02 Oct, 2006 7:37 pm

LaCavallerizza wrote:Andrea in “La Danza” and keep up with him?
That’s kind of a fun song!

Excuse my "ignoranza", I never heard the song" la Danza" which CD it's on? :|
maruscatoscana

Postby LaCavallerizza on Mon 02 Oct, 2006 8:08 pm

Hmm... I hope I got the name of the song right....(I'm keep sneeking into the forum while at I'm at work so don't have it with me), but it's on the "Sentimento" CD.
LaCavallerizza

Postby westsiderny on Mon 02 Oct, 2006 10:02 pm

maruscatoscana wrote:Excuse my "ignoranza", I never heard the song" la Danza" which CD it's on? :|

Marusca, "La danza" is track #9 on the "Sentimento" CD. By the way, one of my favorite CDs... :)

westsiderny

Postby carolina1954 on Mon 02 Oct, 2006 10:19 pm

La Danza...that is such a wonderful song....must be so very difficult to sing, but Andrea makes it seem easy. My favourite from Sentimento
carolina1954

Postby LaCavallerizza on Tue 03 Oct, 2006 1:46 am

I like those "frinche frinche frinche" ! Does anyone know what that word means? I can't find it in any dictionary.

I think Sentimento is my favorite of the opera CD too, it's just beautiful.
LaCavallerizza

Postby Baroque1685 on Tue 03 Oct, 2006 1:52 am

Marusca, I trust your story but my mind keeps wanting to pick it apart, LOL. I want to hear Andrea mention it and comment, but I doubt this will happen. Though I'm sure he cares, he very likely doesn't have the time.

"La Danza" is a fun one to attempt, but it takes real skill to succeed. En Aranjuez con Tu Amor is a favorite. Those of you who haven't heard Concierto de Aranjuez, you must find it now and listen. Sentimento is special to me, not just because its Andrea singing Classical.
I haven't the faintest idea why, but in Aria, Donizetti's Pour Mon Âme manages to remind me of the BBC comedy "Keeping up Appearances". What's wrong with me? :oops: For being such a joyous song, why is it to me so comedic? Hmmm...I may have some reading to do :)

"Frinche" means "Faster" according to abmusica: http://abmusica.com/sentimento#Item%209
~Soli Deo Gloria~ "All music...should have no other end and aim than the glory of God and the recreation of the soul; where this is not kept in mind, there is no true music, but only infernal clamour and ranting."~Johann Sebastian Bach
Baroque1685

Postby Baroque1685 on Tue 03 Oct, 2006 1:53 am

double post, sorry
Baroque1685

Postby LaCavallerizza on Tue 03 Oct, 2006 3:43 am

Thanks, that was the only word not translated to English in the CD cover!
Do you know who puts these translations together?

Concierto de Aranjuez sounds like something I should listen to!
LaCavallerizza

Postby maruscatoscana on Tue 03 Oct, 2006 8:59 pm

Carolina wrote:La Danza...that is such a wonderful song....must be so very difficult to sing, but Andrea makes it seem easy. My favourite from Sentimento

Of course, I have Sentimento CD. I must have forgotten the title of the song.

Baroque1685 wrote: Marusca, I trust your story but my mind keeps wanting to pick it apart, LOL. I want to hear Andrea mention it and comment, but I doubt this will happen. Though I'm sure he cares, he very likely doesn't have the time.

Baroque, which story are you refering? My encounter with Andrea? I wish that he would remember too. I think it was a special encounter. If you are referring to that, what does this mean : "my mind keeps wanting to pick it apart"
maruscatoscana

Postby Baroque1685 on Tue 03 Oct, 2006 9:46 pm

Yes, it is to this story that I refer. Nothing conflicts, but my mind keeps spinning on it - overly analytical, LOL. Too many mysteries lately, and also, being analytical runs in the family :) .
Baroque1685

Postby maruscatoscana on Tue 10 Oct, 2006 9:21 pm

Baroque wrote:Too many mysteries lately, and also, being analytical runs in the family .

Hello Baroque

Finally I found this post with your reply......I'm quite analytical myself, I know the feeling. You know Baroque, I'm re-reading the Musica del Silenzio, in Italian of course. Andrea it's a mistery in itself, I think, a wonderful mistery!! I don't know if Andrea remember that brief encounter, it would be nice if he does, but it dosn't matter, because for me is still special. You know when Andrea became famous I didn't realised that he was that boy, after I read the story of his life, everything clicked. But as I said before it was 2 years later. I can't blame you if your mind keeps on spinning on it.

Ciao cara
Marusca
maruscatoscana

Return to Opera